Clio RS 172/182 vs 182 Cup

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Charlie Howard, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

My mate and I are looking to get an Clio RS to make into a track car but wondered if it's worth getting the cup as we'll be fitting coilovers and stripping it out no matter what? I've been told the cup is lighter but is that just from the interior bits because if so that won't matter?

2. If stripping, it doesn’t matter. Cups are rare and command a premium. Best bet would be buy one that’s already been done/ semi done. Save a fortune. Great cars and very capable.

3. Get a standard car. The Cup is great — it has different (and better) suspension fix points so there’s less choice in the after market that is simply bolt on

4. 182 Cup isn't really worth it. 172 Cup has some minor advantages (no air con or ABS) but, as above, they are beginning to command a premium, so it might be easier to start with a regular one if you're stripping anyway.

5. Get a 172 or it's cup variant.

Dont bother with the 182 cup as its upright spacing is unique and restrictive on coil over options if your tracking it.

6. Charlie Howard

I've been looking at 172's as they're slightly cheaper and I think I'm gonna go for one that has no or little work done to it as a lot of the fun is working on it and getting it ready ourselves. But no Cup by the sounds of it! Thanks!

timbo likes this.
  7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd be looking for one already good to go tbh, loads of well spec'd ones for not a huge amount more than a standard or close to standard car.

8. Charlie Howard

It's all part of the experience though and it's something I haven't done before!

timbo likes this.