Clicking at slow speed 250

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by josh250, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Hi,

I've noticed a strange clicking noise when parking the last couple of days . I tested it last night and it seems to be when I apply the brakes at very slow speed (obviously can only hear it then) but it's really loud and I'm a bit concerned !

I thought could be clutch or something but it only does it when I put the brakes on .
    Any ideas ?

Cheers!

2. Sure it isn't a stone in your tyre? :wink: barring that could be brake pad clip is missing making it move?

3. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

what pads have you got in? i have a set of rc6's that move in the caliper and make that kind of noise when parking up

4. Is it like a creaking noise from the front drivers side wheel?

5. I have standard Renault pads but they were only changed a couple months back. It's weird it's not been doing it as much today . The clip idea could be an idea ?! Not sure whether to take it in !

6. If it is the clip on the pads you could do it yourself and have a look, if you have the tools save yourself some money :smile:.

7. Cheers I'll keep an eye on it and jack it up when I get a chance !

8. Could be a stone in there somehow?

Had this on a friends Golf Ed35 recently - wheel off, calliper off and quick spin of the disc and it popped out.

9. Mine used to constantly click when braking! The noise stopped the day I fitted new pads!

10. Yeah that could be the one I was thinking a stone somewhere. Ive had a poke about and visual check and the pads don't move and the pins are there nothing seems to budge! The brakes also seem spot on. Can't really tell though as its a bit slippery when i tested them bit of sliding and abs going on :tongueout:.

As long as the brakes dont fail!

Littlest things can be the most annoying !!

11. Had this looked at as it wasn't getting any better!
    Mechanic told me that it needs new pins, and should have had them when it had new pads. This is causing the pads to move and make the noise when changing direction.
    Apparently if I don't get them sorted soon the pads won't wear correctly and will have to get ANOTHER set. :worried:

Any suggestions ?

12. I call BS, like someone mentioned about RC6's I fitted some RC5's and they do the same i.e. click/clunk when going from reverse to forward visa versa. If my pins were the issue then the OLD pads would have surely done it prior to removal! They didn't.

But is it only when changing direction for you?

13. Sorry meant to clarify that. Its when I go from forward to reverse and vice versa it makes the clink clunk noise not from side to side.
    Before having the pads changed it never used to do this and didnt until about a month ago and I had the pads on about November time.
    They are standard renault pads.

14. My brakes do this too since changing the pads but it's not a worry. Its something to do with the metal colar/sleeve that holds them at the rear i think?

15. I am pretty certain it is from the front as I can almost feel it through the wheel. I haven't touched or changed the rear pads so I don't think it could be that. I want to get it sorted because apparently the pads are wearing strangely as they are as a result :worried:

16. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Did you ever sort this? I've got the same since changing the rear pads.

17. If anyone is having this issue I have been trying to resolve this for over a year now and I believe I’ve found a fix.

I have done like many others and changed lower swivel joints, drop links, springs, I even changed the offside drive shaft with no success in curing the noise.

Eventually got it diagnosed as the front pads clanking in the right hand caliper. The pads for some reason were quite loose in the caliper, more than you would expect. They would normally be held tighter by a layer of corrosion. The fix was to replace the anti rattle shims with new ones (Brembo recommend they are not re-used) and fit additional anti squeal shims to hold the pads in a bit tighter. Also checked the pistons were not seized in the caliper.

I hope this helps as it is worth checking out before you go replacing costly parts as I did that didn’t solve the issue.