Clarkson's suspension

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Motorsport Media' started by Pagey3103, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Maybe long overdue, but Clarkson has been suspended due to an arguemennt with the producer And TG won't be aired this Sunday.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

There's a long recent list of issues with him. Argentina, Burma etc . What does everyone think.? The end of him or just part of the show trying to boost ratings ?

2. I think it's the BBC trying to be seen to be taking a stand against him, considering the amount of flack they get from Clarkson haters. What they need to remember that is without TG.. they lose a cataclysmic amount of money

3. I'm glad to be honest. He's a dick and had it coming. You can't carry on in life like him without some repercussions.

Having said that, it didn't do Jonathan Ross much harm being sacked and I'm sure it won't JC. He'll be picked up by commercial station to do something similar. 6th gear?

The BBC will lose money doing this, but nobody is bigger than aunty(BBC), and I'm sure long term it won't matter.

4. I genuinely believe he is bigger than the BBC though. Through him and the other two, TG is now a worldwide phenomenon and is their highest grossing TV show bar none. Getting rid of him would annihilate their Sunday night ratings as well as make a huge dent money-wise. It's been proven time and time again that he's bigger than the BBC because they have ALWAYS overlooked whatever he's done, on the basis they can't afford to lose him.

Like him or not, he makes TG what it is and imo, the Clarkson haters can just do one and watch something else. There'll be uproar if he's axed... there already is that just 1 episode isn't going to be aired.

5. I'm sure I read that JC owns the rights to Top gear? If that's true I'm sure the BBC can't afford to loose him.

6. They've not really always overlooked his wrong doings though. He's on a final warning, just as any other UK employee can be. He's now allegedly done something else wrong. Given this, he's got to go (if allegation is proved right). The fact that it involves violence is gross misconduct for which somebody could be sacked straight off - without a prior bad disciplinary record.

Yes the BBC earn a lot of money on the back of him but I don't agree that he is bigger than the entire corporation. Top Gear is just one program out of hundreds that the BBC produce. If TG has to end, it will not be missed in the medium-long term.

You're right about the uproar, and I think there is a petition to reinstate him which had over 100,000 signatures in just a few hours. I don't think it will save him though but as I said above, he will bounce back on another station.

I'm glad to be honest - I'm firmly in the camp that TG has run it's (race) course, finished, out of ideas. I'm also in the camp that watches it every week, shouting at the telly at what an utter buffoon Clarkson is and how they should change the format/presenters/anything. This could be just the catalyst the BBC need. If that makes me a Clarkson hater, then so be it.

7. Sold the rights back in 2012 apparently.

8. Thats the thing I don't get , a lot of people hate him but those same people watch him.week in week out and everyday in between on Dave. I admit I like TG most days but sometimes think Clarksons an utter plum and gives rubbish inconsistent views. he's doing something right tho, even now when I don't see TG as "the car" show anymore . It's just entertainment (sometimes anyway)

9. Agreed that it's just entertainment now. If I want real car news from who I deem experts, I turn to Chris Harris or the Evo team. TG is a piss-take most of the time and I think that's all people want on a Sunday before work!

10. I personally don't mind the guy but even I think that what's gone on recently with top gear and how shit the last series was that he just needs to shut his mouth and do his job.

11. Me too, the real car reviews all seems to be on youtube/ web now. Chris Harris is also my first choice, maybe because he seems to like the same cars i do or maybe its because he doesnt take himself too seriously and well... he's git a mint job hooning around a track all day in exotic supercars!

Evo team are also fantastic, great reviews of great cars, ive even started buying their magazine regularly. The days of televised car reviews like 5th gear and TG seem to be dying out and even a thing of the past.

12. I think Chris harris would attract a much smaller audience, as good as he is, i love watching his videos, but it would only appeal to us petrolhead. Clarkson is a character, there arn't too many of those left on TV, BBC would be better off getting rid of the producer.

13. Typical British...watch a programme you don't like then moan about it.

Hopefully your not one of those people that complain to ofcom aswel.

14. Punched in the face and sacked in the same month.

He has a worse job than me :wink:

15. I’m not a huge fan of him, nor in recent years of Top Gear but that said he does seem to be one of the last Neanderthals of TV. I’m tempted to sign the petition to save him purely to wind up the PC brigade! A balance of opinions, be it right or wrong, is never a bad thing on a media outfit as powerful as the BBC .

16. It's too fashionable nowadays to hate on Clarkson. Get over it and watch something else. Why watch something that winds you up? Amazes me

17. Its an ok show never watch it on the Sunday have it recorded so i can fast forward parts.

I only watched the Jag,MX5 & rally cross bit.

18. No, don't be daft.

I just winge on the internet, pub, work...

19. 5th gear have Harris for the new season already

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

He was only doing Tiff a favour.

Chris Harris will never be on mainstream tv and certainly wouldn't do TG. Same goes for Guy Martin who people have also suggested.

Clarkson will be sat on the naughty step for a while then it will be back to normal. TG is the BBC's largest show in terms of revenue and viewing figures and regardless if you don't like him/them, The 3 presenters are what makes it so popular.

If he does leave the BBC i can see him being in big demand to start another show like TG with the other two on Sky or similar.

21. Nmp

Nmp

Spot on.

22. Think they said on a report this morning that Sky have been trying to get him to come across for a while

23. Their contracts expire with BBC very soon too so a move could be a real option. Just a shame the viewers and fans have to suffer with the loss of pre recorded episodes.

I personally like Clarkson and his no nonsense political stance. I always respect someone who isn't afraid to say what he really thinks and 9 times out of 10 he's got the right idea.

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The episodes are not pre recorded though, They are filmed every Wednesday before they are aired on Sunday. I would imagine that any features that have Clarkson in them he would likely have the rights to as he is not stupid.

It will all blow over

25. So what's the future of top gear now he's gone?
    Do you think the other two will remain, I see their contracts are up for renewal? Or will they join Jezza in whatever venture he pursues next?
    Interesting to see what the next Top gear looks like without him.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Shame really, TG will no longer be as we know it. I don see Hammond and May staying on either.

I say Netflix/Sky will pick the trio up

27. [video=youtube;N6cfFnBNELs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfFnBNELs[/video]

28. Yeah I just read this, he officially gone. I wonder what he'll do next and who takes over as TG presenter ?

29. I heard rumours of Guy Martin doing it!

30. I've heard Chris Evans , Jodie Kidd and even Johnny Vegas

31. I have a lot of love for James May. I think that minute of questioning says a hell of a lot and doesn't take a genius to work out what's going to happen.

32. What even wearing that hat? Ha ha!
    As you said he makes it pretty obvious though.

33. "and now if you'll excuse me i have to write an ebay listing for my ferrari" :wink: james may crack me up

no matter what anyone says, clarkson made top gear and it it'll be a shame that its gotta end.

34. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No chance, There is more possibility of me buying a P1 next week than Guy doing it

35. Ha ha. You'll have to post some pictures when you get it.

36. Saw Jonny Vegas at the rugby the other day and asked him.
    Said it's all rumours!

37. The 3 of them will go to sky

38. It's got to be, johns doesn't even have a license iirc from when he appeared on the show. Plus a motoring show just isn't him,

still doesnt stop the the bookies raking in on the bets, they'll make a killing off this.

39. James May also updated his Twitter to say he's a former TV presenter so also indicates he quit as a consequence of the sacking. The video was quite clear he won't be on top gear. Great quote by May tho- blokes a nob but I like working with him! Lols