R26 Check emissions - R26

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Leigh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Hi guys, I’m hoping you can help me with this one before I go on the inevitable wild goose chase of replacing sensors.

The Orange spanner and ‘check emissions’ message came on my R26 a while back and my cheap code reader showed the following.

P0352 - ‘Knock sensor 1 circuit bank 1 or single sensor’

P0136 - ‘O2 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 2’

I checked everything over and found nothing obvious and it still drove fine. I thought maybe just a stray O2 reading so I erased the code.

As you can probably guess....... it came back on.

I’ve erased the code twice now and it comes back on after about 3 weeks.

Still drives spot on.

I’ve searched the forums and most posts relate to decats but my car is bog standard.

My first port of call is the downstream lambda sensor but thought I’d open it up to you guys first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Is your temp gauge needle seats at the 3 bar from bottom?

3. Could well be thermostat

4. Yes, it sits a needle width to the left of the 3rd mark.

(By 3rd mark I mean the one to the left of tdc)

Thanks.

5. Interesting, do you think maybe it’s not getting up to full temp?

6. no at this level, it could be the temp sensor on the thermostat housing that control injection in the ecu,
    If temp is not correct then your ecu chuck more fuel, that mean that the O2 sensor will find wrong level of o2 in the exhaust gases because your engine hasn't had time to burn all the fuel thus a check emissions,

This sensor is really cheap so you could try changing it, it'll be one of those below
    upload_2019-3-1_10-29-11.png
    Can you access a CLIP software to get a proper more accurate reading of the error codes before spending money and shooting in the dark?

7. I’ve not got access to clip unfortunately.
    I presume indies have access to clip though?

I would expect to have other symptoms really but it seems fine.

Should I have noticed any other symptoms with the coolant temp sensor failed/failing . I would expect hesitation or starting issues maybe? All appears fine.

Or do you think the O2 sensor picking up the early signs?

Thanks again.

8. are your rev high all the time nearer the 1100rpm when idling or does it drop to normal (about 750-800 rpm) when hot?

9. No, the revs drop to what seems perfectly normal.

The funny thing is, I didn’t erase the light this time and it’s now gone off! I assume the code will be stored and the light will return soon?

Anyway, here’s the clocks when up to temp.

92b9e9fd0b40e53ea294ff9e741becac.jpg

Thanks.

10. look normal then, I think rather than guessing you need to have it plugged in a clip or another professional diagnostic system to get a proper answer