R26 Changing brake fluid

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Grogsey, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Hi guys, I recently got an r26. I’ve bought brembo uv brake discs, pfc front brake pads and motul rbf 600 brake fluid. I’m taking the car in to my local garage tomorrow to have them put on. My mechanic has said they don’t bleed the brakes there, they will just take out what’s in the bottle and top up with the new fluid. Is that going to be a problem? I’ve been told you should bleed all of the old fluid and not mix the two. Be interested to hear your thoughts thanks.

2. You should definetly bleed all the brake circuit, other wise, you will be wasting very bad your new and fresh brake fluid

3. A garage that doesn't bleed brakes !! Maybe find another garage.

Deffo need to flush out all the old fluid with the new - probably 2ltrs for the first flush. Makes sure you never let the master cylinder run dry and be careful with the bleed nipples. Also bleed the clutch at the same time.

4. I can understand just emptying the coolant from the rad and expansion tank and not the block if the drain is hard to reach, but for brakes, there's no point just changing the fluid in the master cylinder when you don't know how poor the rest of the fluid is. Get someone to do it properly. I have just bought one of those bleed kits with a pump/tank that connects to the master cylinder. Going to try it tomorrow to change all my wife's car brake fluid if the weather plays ball.

5. you'll need to get either "Clip" or something like "ICarsoft" unit that can open the valves in the ABS block to enable the old fluid to be flushed out

6. sounds like they dont have equipment to open the abs valves.You will be wasting your time and money.
    The brakes on these are tricky to bleed out properly,unless you know what you are doing.Take it somewhere that understands the procedure.

7. Thanks guys appreciate the replies.

8. Doesn't icarsoft work for opening the abs valves

9. i have the Icarsoft v2 and it has a program in there to do the valves in the ABS block, not tried it yet though.

10. Didn't know you had to do the abs module on a mk2?

11. Is the mk2 abs part of a closed system, so if you bleed the open part you have fresh fluid from master cylinder to callipers but if the abs triggers it dumps old fluid into the open system? So if you don’t have the software to open the abs valves, can you bleed the open part, drive it somewhere quiet and trigger the abs a few times and then re-bleed the brakes again, as the abs should have drawn in the fresh fluid when it activated?

12. Didn't realise you had to do this on a mk2, thought it was only the mk3!

The real good news for me is that this will be how my fluid became so shitty and I boiled the fluid out on track! This means I don't need bigger brakes :tearsofjoy:

13. Any ABS system that's triggered electrically needs the valves to be opened to get the old fluid out.

Agreen likes this.