cat to front link pipe nuts

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by wee stu, Feb 4, 2015.

1. hi all
    anyone any tips to get these things off,went to try and strip the front pipe off only to find someone before me has rounded them bloody off (aarrrgghhh).Need to get it off as i need to change the gear linkage or if anyone has any other ideas to fit the linkage without moving the pipe that would be great.

cheers

2. You change the linkage from the top. I presume it is the gear cables you are changing. You need to apply some heat to the nuts & knock a 1/2" socket on with a hammer. They will come undone straight away.
    Lee

3. yeah the cables bud.don't think the 1/2" would fit mate, as the nuts are only 10mm and there's no room to get nothing in.tried hitting a 9mm on them and ended up smashing a few fingers.ha ha.

looks as though am going to have to take the cat and all sorts off now.while lying in a pile of snow.(the joy's of motoring)

4. Try a 3/8th socket. You will still need some heat though. You can't get the cat out with the exhaust connected.
    Lee

5. Not what I wanted to hear boohoo

Gonna be fun then???

Cheers bud

6. Just to say,managed to get the bugger.ha ha.

Didn't need to take the front link pipe completely off.just needed to disconnect it at the mid box and drop the exhaust hanger.woohoo all done just got another 10 jobs to do now.