Cat Thefts

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by NotaDiesel!!!, Apr 25, 2021.

1. was reading how much these are selling for on ClioSport. Anyone know of Megs suffering from these?

Or is the assumption everyone got a decat?

I know the decat is a pig to fit. Does that mean its tricky to cut the Cat off under cover of darkness?

2. Given that the cat is right at the back of the engine and against the firewall I can't imagine it happening on Megs. The Clio CAT is very easy to access underneath.

3. Just swapped mine for a sports cat. It's easier to steal the whole car. It's difficult to remove even if you cut it out. I removed mine whole and sold it on ebay and made a hefty sum
    Kev

Brigsy likes this.
  4. What are cats worth now cos seriously thinking of a sports cat

5. A bloke i know said his son has just got £502 for the cat from his 250! I was gobsmacked.

6. Wow, who’s he sold that to? will have mine for sale soon

7. Yep. There is a thread on ClioSport speaking about £450. Saying the rare metals inside are worth 10x the value of gold. Granted there wont be much of them all the same I would have thought they were worth £100 tops. I can see why people taking now.

Not sure why Sports Cats still work if they dont have the metals in them?

8. Bad enough that they take it but if the butcher an Akrapovic to get it off that would be a crime against humanity.

9. Clio 182 cat £400 - £450 and Clio 172 Cat £700 - £750. They are in a completely different place to the megane cat and easy to steal unfortunately.

Megane Cats are far too hard for scumbags to try and steal.

Some of the modern Toyota Cats are worth around 1k scrap.

10. No idea mate sorry. I bet there will be loads of people taking them. A quick google should give you someone local to you I’m sure.

11. Will have a search around coming off in next couple of days

12. But why are they so expensive? It's just because of the rare metals??

13. Check out the price of Rhodium (metal found in cats), $29000 per ounce , or $935,000 per kilo.

14. It fry's my brain that two environmental initiatives coming together can be corrupted.

1. Cat is there to reduce harmful environmental gasses.
    2. Scrappage value is to encourage recycling.

But when this happens will force people to:

a - Fit a less efficient sports cat/decat.
    b - Scrap a perfectly usable car & buy something newer.
    c - Buy a replacement OEM cat made using recycled materials

Either way it is cost/waste/energy & Env Impact.

15. For anyone interested had mine off and sold for 550

Poppaboost and Beau like this.
  16. Wow, better get my sport cat on and sell my stock one!

17. Company I sold it to was platinum group metals recycling