Cat removal R26

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Reaper7, Nov 19, 2019.

1. 74E7A42C-5133-4FA7-83DD-F387EA60D855.jpeg ive had a good look but can only find advice as far as its a s^*t job dont bother and undo the 3 bolts holding it to the turbo etc. Is there a more extensive thread about removing the cat. Im struggling with the turbo bolt under the cat pipe as i just cant get anything in there let alone some decent room to wank the spanner. Im thinking i might need some half moon spanners? Also the 2 8mm bolts in the lower bracket and the higher one on the back of the manifold. It seems no matter what i use i can get purchase on them to undo them as they are made of butter.
    Any help would be much appreciated as ive got a sportscat i want to fit. For the record the whole subframe is off the car so thats not in the way.

2. This will sort the lower cat/turbo bolt. Iv done this job on my 225 and 250. It's a right pain due to as you have found alot of the bolts heads are made of cheese. I used a few imperial sockets which seemed to fit better... or hex sockets instead of the multi spline ones 9137aecd016a97978d525163a63a9fd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

3. Yeah thanks mate I’ve ordered some half moon spanners. As for the 8mm bolts, I used hex sockets and they rounded off immediately. Looks like I’m going to have to Dremmel the heads of the bolts. Nightmare. I’m wondering if the sports cat is worth the hassle.

4. Well I went full decat and it was worth it too me. Yeah the small 8mm are p***ks ha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk