Carbotech

Discussion in 'Technology Chat' started by Schumacher.gr, May 27, 2015.

1. Has anyone tried the pads from this company?

2. I've got a set of xp10's waiting to go on so can't comment atm, but I know @Jamie recommends them

3. Very good pads I used to use the XP8s on track, instant bite from cold, not cheap though

4. I've got XP10's, used them at Brands Hatch on an open pit evening session and had no fade issues. They were dusty but it wasn't difficult to clean up with some fallout remover. They are not the cheapest but they were good.

5. Thanks for the answers guys.
    Wearing now the yellow EBC and want to give them a chance.
    The cost they are asking is a matter though.
    Waiting for more feedback.

6. How much are the xp8? My ferodo getting low.

7. Can anyone arrange for a promo code?

8. Had the xp10s on my mini, epic pad but squeled a lot

9. there's no secret to brake pad retardation v's cost, the more you pay the better the braking efficiency of the pad, so basically your EBC are a country mile away from the massive stopping power of say XP10, fit what you can afford v's what you need to get the job done.

10. You are absolutely right.

11. I've had very little sequel on mine but from what I've read that might be just luck. I'll be changing back to the normal pads for everyday use.

12. I ran DS2500. My son gave me,and fitted some Carbotech pads. Gave far greater stopping power than the 2500. Just about to change again.and son recommends DS 1.11. I am going with DS 1.11. If you are wrong Sunnylunn watch out!. The DS2500 worked well,but left a glaze on the disc,which was a devil to get rid of. The Alcon discs look almost new still,so it does seem,you get what you pay for.

13. had 2 sets of xp8`s on my R26...they are increadible for the road..instant bite..zero fade.
    grind at slow speeds..create a lot of dust...but i dont care.
    Last time i had a full fluid flush as well,and the performance is quite staggering...messed them up a bit though on the ring!
    But even with cracks in the pad,they still bite like crazy..

Contact Carbotech direct...they make them on order..expensive..but what price can you put on excellent brakes..
    Have had yellow stuff before and they are fkn awful..straight in the bin..

14. Hi Arthur,
    I have DS1.11 at the moment and I find them good for the track but a bit too much bite when cold on the road so I now swap them out when doing road journeys. I am off to the the Ring next week and will get more ENDLESS pads in Germany for front and rear which I find an excellent balance. Let me know if you want some bringing back!!

Cheers (and a Hi from Susie!!)

15. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

I've just fitted a set of Carbotech XP8 to my R26. They cost £204 delivered direct from Carbotech.

First impression is good after following the bed in procedure. No noises or grinding and they bite well, much better than the DS2500 they replaced.

16. Run the XP10 and love em, tried ds2500, cl6, ds1.11 and carbozz are best for my needs, can be bit noisy but dont care as cars only brutalised in Europe alps, pyrenees or wales thinking of trying XP12 next

17. Oh and they last good time and kind to disc's

18. I've got the xp10's on mine and their absolutely brilliant can't fault them at all, worth the money they cost

19. I quite fancy xp8's but a bit concerned about the brake dust ruining the bodywork and wheels, and the squealing as it's my daily and the Mrs uses it as much as me.

20. No problems with dust or squealing for xp8, no real downside apart from the costs.

21. How aggressive are the xp8?

22. TimR26

My R26 is a daily and I haven't had any issues with noise etc.

23. Thats pretty much much sold them to me, my standard brake set up is far from adequate, I have no confidence in them when pushing on, not like in my Clio with ds2500, they where well upto the job, I want that in the Megane.

24. Off topic slightly but I thought the ds2500 in my Clio were crap

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

XP8's are fairly aggressive when you look at their friction Coef. You need proper R rated tyres to get the most out them and XP10's are way overkill on anything not running slicks, IME.

The 8's are a lot noisier than what the 10's are as well, Not as bad dust wise or as hard on discs either but still not kind. Be prepared for your discs to be replaced a lot more often than with lesser pads.

26. Great pads XP8s used them on my old R26, expensive though

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not really, One of the cheaper pads i have used in mine. I don't see me using anything other than Carbotech pads in any car now, Although i do fancy trying a set of Endless MA45B's at some point

28. Think I paid £220 direct from Ian at carbotec for then , DS1.11s £157

29. TimR26

I ordered mine last week and paid £204 delivered direct from Carbotech.

30. Where are the ds1.11 for £157

31. and if you chech Facebook you'll see some that have been used for testing, as new £70 inc postage , I've had a few sets , like I say they are as new

32. surprised at that, I had them on my cup, thought they where superb, spot on round aintree also, I defiantly have them again on a Clio.

33. Not on face muck. Are they pretty much new? I'd be interested in trying a set

34. Mintex 1155 and cl5+ are way better. On and off track. 1155 are the best I've used at Oulton

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Agree with that, DS2500's are wank especially when compared to "proper" pads.

36. When ds2500 came out on cliosport everyone raved about them. So I joined the merry band wagon and thought they were crap, but then I'm not the late of the late brakers. I even rated the £18 pagid pads from ecp over them.

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Im pretty heavy on brakes hence i have always ran more extreme compound pads to others, Got a good balance at the moment for road/track use and can't see me going any more aggressive unless i run coilovers and slicks.

38. a bit late telling me this now lol, oh well, if I ever join the Clio brigade again I'll bear this in mind.

39. Carbon Lorraine (or CL Brakes) produce the best pads at the moment in my opinion. Ive got a set of the RC5+ (I think) in my track day car and they are brilliant. When driving on the road it makes you wonder how its possible for other poor brake pads to be legal. Stopping distances are so much better.

40. They have also been reports of them falling to bits recently