Car won't start

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by davejh, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Hi all,

2011 Megane RS. Basically as the title, car won't start.

Got in it today for the first time this week to pop to the chemist to pick up my prescription. Unlocked fine, pressed the start button and got a message on the screen saying I had a puncture. This then went and it came up with braking system fault (or something similar). Then this went and it said check parking brake (again or something similar) and the car just wouldn't start. It kept making a clicking noise. It then told me to put the keycard in which I did. Again, still wouldn't start.

I took the handbrake off and rolled the car back a few feet, still no luck. Eventually I decided to disconnect the battery for 10 mins which I did. Reconnected the battery and now I am getting nothing. It is dead. The car still locks and unlocks via the remote except I can't get in the boot.

Got RAC coming out as we have breakdown including home start but just wondered if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Hi Dave, the clicking noise that you said is when push start button? If it is, maybe your starter is dead, if not, sound like an electronic issue, hard to know without a CLIP or any diagnostic device.

3. i would say battery is low in power, check your battery with a multi-meter and it should read around 12V ish
    If too low the car think is got issues because it cannot talk to the other electronic item on the car.

If the starter motor click might indicate that the battery is not powerful enough to turn the engine

Just a case of putting a new battery if it does not keep the charge.

another thing to consider is has your alarm went during the past week, if so it might emptied your battery then you need to charge overnight and it should be fine.

4. Hi,

Thanks for the reply both.

Yes the clicking noise was when I was pushing the start button. I wont do it again as I am literally getting nothing, which I immediatley thought dead battery, except I only changed the battery in january as the last one had gone dead.

The alarm hasn't gone off as far as I know. As I said it does seem like a dead battery but why it would have gone dead in just about 3 months? Although I did think at the time when they gave it to me I wasnt sure they had given me the correct one, size wise it seemed a little smaller than the one that came out. I just put it down to perhaps it was a cheaper battery.

RAC are out about 7pm tonight, will see what he comes up with. Thanks both, appreciate your time.

5. Do you drive it usually? Sometimes, if the car don´t works for a long time, battery usually discharge. When change the battery did you do a reset with a CLIP or other diagnostic device?? I think thats important to do too.
    Anyway, I hope that don´t be a big problem.

6. Battery is knackered. He put a diagnostic on the battery after running the car for 5 mins and came back with a bad cell.

Said it was definetley the wrong battery for the car, too small. Hopefully the shop I bought it from are open tomorrow, but with lockdown I am not sure if they have been allowed to stay open.

7. The batteries for our cars are higher than normal( 10cm +-)
    I had the same problem, I put a new battery (Varta) and until today zero problems!
    and I didn't need to do a Reset or anything else.

8. Just had the same problem, I only use mine once a week and it sits on the drive most the time. I had a feeling it was going as slow to start sometimes then Monday morning ,CLICK. Just fitted a Bosch S5 removed and cleaned all the connections as they were a right mess. Old battery was a Renault one and was 5 years old.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Regards

Justin