Car won’t start

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Olsen, May 1, 2018.

1. Hi guys, first post on the forums and sadly it’s asking for some advice.

I’ve got a 265 Trophy that was booked in for the cambelt / waterpump work. The work itself apparently went fine, though when the garage reconnected the battery and tried to start the car it wouldn’t.

The symptoms appear to be: key card is put in and dashboard lights up as normal, radio etc works. Dashboard lights go out as normal. When the start button is pressed, it tries to turn over but doesn’t catch.

The garage have checked the wiring, timing, fuel level and both fuse boxes. So most of the obvious stuff.

Some additional weirdness: once the key card has been removed and the car locked from the outside, the interior heating fans / AC and external lights all remain on - which is bizarre. Apparently the garage have checked and it appears as though the injectors aren’t getting any power from the battery, though everything else seems fine. The car didn’t do any of these things before and has genuinely been faultless during my ownership. It’s got the standard Renault alarm, no aftermarket security stuff.

They’ve double and triple checked the wiring and fuses - not sure if it’s worth asking them to check again? Aside from that, the only other thing I can think of is that the ECU has somehow been damaged. I’ve no idea if that’s a common thing?

The car is standard barring a cat back exhaust and some Cerwin Vega sub and amp in the boot which were installed professionally by a previous owner. The wiring here all looks good and I’ve had no previous troubles with it.

If anyone has any ideas I’d really appreciate hearing them, KTR and RS Tuning have both had a few things to try but as yet nothing worked. Car will be getting trailered to Renault this week from the garage but ideally I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Cheers

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

try disconnecting the battery again and leave it an hour or more.

3. There will be a wire that’s been caught when they removed parts to do the cam belt. Shouldn’t really be your problem, let the garage worry about sorting it.

They’ll need to get a decent auto sparky on the job to find the problem.

There was a similar issues that someone put on here a while ago, turned out to be a small Ecu wire had been snipped.

4. Cheers for the quick reply! That was one of the things the garage tried (should have mentioned that in the first post - there’s a few things I may have missed, difficult to keep track of things as I’m only getting daily updates over the phone). They’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting over different periods of time, leaving the key card in for different periods before starting etc.

5. Cheers Jimmy, that’s great. I’ll pass that on. My garage did say that they’ve been checked the wiring pretty thoroughly; but I think that’s 100% worth further investigation. I’ve not had the car for getting on for a month now, while this problem has been investigated so just hoping there’s something I can do to speed the process up. But that’s a great start, I’ll mention that and the auto electrician. Cheers

6. Did they fully remove the battery and the battery tray etc or just disconnect the battery

7. As I understand it, they just disconnected it, but I’ll double check with them tomorrow. Are you think potentially somethings gone wrong with the battery being disconnected and not removed? Cheers

8. No, the ecu is bolted in front of the air box. I'd disconnect the 3 connectors and see if that helps

9. that’s great, cheers. I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and get them to give that a go.
    Thanks!

10. Is it not showing any DTC's?

11. Just checked with my mechanic, apparently no DTCs are coming up. Which seems weird. Have asked them to check all of the wiring but will probably be going to Renault now I think.

12. Strange how you've drove your car to the garage. They've done work on it, now it's not working. They've done something to it or it's just a complete coincidence

13. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

A compression test then, wonder if they have put one of the cams in 180 degrees out :dizzy:

14. Any joy with sorting your car