Can't select any gears over 1500rpm

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by deadmau5, Apr 5, 2015.

1. I was driving on Friday and tried to go from 4th to 5th but when I took my foot off the clutch and went back on the power the revs just shot up as I had missed the gear. I dipped the clutch again and tried to put it into 5th however it wouldn't go it and then wouldn't go into any gears meaning I had to go to the hard shoulder.

I can only change gear when the revs are below 1500rpm and once I've been up through the gears I can't go down any until I stop again. Also when I pull away in first the car seems to struggle slightly and the car vibrates a bit. It won't go into any gears easily and each one seems to catch a bit. When I change from first to second and press the clutch the car noticeably slows down as if the handbrake is on.

It had a new uprated clutch 10k miles ago with slave cylinder and R26.r fly wheel. Is it likely to be clutch or gearbox that is broken?

2. I would certainly suspect that myself. More likely clutch than gearbox, but hard to tell.

3. +1 on this. If the gearbox is shot then you wouldn't be getting any gears.

4. Turns out that the flywheel had broken and mangled everything else. Thankfully the gearbox is okay!

R26r clutch and flywheel fitted about 5k miles ago but over 12 months unfortunately. PITA!

5. Was that using Renault OEM parts?

Sounds a bit dodgy that the parts failed so soon!

6. Yes OEM parts.

I wonder if me missing the gear and then going back on the accelerator as normal could have done it? The revs did go high but not that high.

7. Is the r26r single or dual mass?

8. Dual.

9. I seriously doubt it was anything you did, these components should be able to cope with missing a gear.

10. Who fitted this? I'd be going back to the garage and asking some serious questions.

Is there anything in your driving that may have caused this failure so soon? Is the car tracked?

I'd be looking at at least some discount on the parts and/or labour for this under the 'unfit for purpose' law that all goods in this country must adhere to.

5,000 miles of normal driving is not enough IMHO, unless there are other reasons?

11. I was thinking the same xanda, I'm guessing they reused old fly wheel bolts or something as it's definitely not right! I've never heard of a fly wheel let go on a meg before

12. I went to collect the car this afternoon and had a look at the old components. The clutch plate had lost all of its grip material on one side. The flywheel wasn't actually too bad but it was slightly unbalanced so I must have misinterpreted what I was told the other day.

All sorted now. Had a new flywheel, clutch and slave fitted. I had the car for two weeks before it broke and bought it off a mate. Got an excellent deal on the new parts and had a courtesy car whilst it was fixed plus I'm going to get a short shifter thrown in.