250 Cambelt suggestions

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Charlie Howard, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

First of all, what does a failing cambelt sound like and does it sound like the video below? Second what belt kits would you suggest?

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

More likely to be the dephaser wheel failing, cam belt will just go its rubber and nylon/kevlar so no noise

3. Charlie Howard

Isn't the wheel part of the cambelt service?

4. ianplymouth

Not sure, it will also depend on where you go and if its main dealer it might be that the time/mileage is not up.

As for a replacement belt, i always try to use Gates

5. Charlie Howard

It was done at 24k/2016, it's at 38k now. I know that's premature if it is the cambelt but I'm not sure.

6. ianplymouth

doubt they would have changed the pulley at that mileage, the belt will deteriorate the pulley won't

7. Charlie Howard

I just listened to about 5 other 250s under the bonnet and all sound the same so I think it's normal. The video does make it sound a bit worse, give yours a listen and see?

8. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Mines a bit tapy on start but fine after a run, supposedly the dephaser solenoid, theres a thread on here about it.

9. Charlie Howard

It's not the same tap, mine does that too. Just changed the solenoid and hasn't helped. Apparently a very tappy engine when idle and is normal by the sounds of it.

10. ianplymouth

i am sure my new one (265) is quieter than that, will run it up in the morning and listen

11. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Being honest that is a lot more tappy than mine, I'd be getting the dephaser changed if it was mine, or at least checked around that area. Better safe than sorry.

12. Charlie Howard

The video does make it sound louder and more metallic. The other videos I've listened to sound the same. Maybe record it and see? Let me know your results!

13. It’s the injectors. They all sound like that and the video makes it sound worse then it is.

14. Charlie Howard

That's a relief, the only issue I've got is the cold start thing. Hopefully oil will sort it.

15. Charlie Howard

Yours sound the same then Jimmy?

16. Yes. The video exaggerates it.

17. Charlie Howard

Good!