R26 Cambelt change on the drive!?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Chris79, May 9, 2018.

1. So been going through a full front end refresh of the suspension and brakes over the last couple of months and will have the last few bits sorted to start rebuilding in a couple of weeks. Car does need a cambelt change so is this something I should be looking at attempting while most of the bits are out of the way and it’s jacked up and ready to go? Is it a difficult job and does anyone have a decent guide on the procedure? Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers

2. Where are you based?

I've done three 182 cambelts (same setup really) and I've done my R26 once. If your mechanically minded and pretty confident on the spanners it should be no issue but you do need the genuine Renault locking tools to do the job these cost near on 200 quid alone IIRC.

These are easier to do than the 182's as you have more room.

There should be a workshop manual kicking around on this site somewhere which gives you all the details. I'll see if I can find it.

3. Thanks for the reply mate. I’m near Fareham in Hampshire. I’d have a go as done bigger jobs before but I don’t have the locking tools and at 200£ I think it’d be more cost effective to put in a garage!!!