250 Cam belt change - diffuser required

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by sonyboy, Nov 9, 2016.

1. I'm getting a mixed information...for a cambelt change, I've been told that I need the waterpump changed too which I think is correct but one garage is saying that I need to change the diffuser (is that what it's called) and an other said it isn't required and normally only for clio RS?

2. What diffuser

Sent from my VIVO using Tapatalk

3. They are talking about the Dephaser which is part of the VVT system. It's on the Megane 250 as well as the Clio.
    Its worth doing the waterpump for sure.

The dephaser usually makes the car sound like a rattling diesel when its warm if its worn out. I'm certain the life expectancy of the Dephaser is something like 90-100k miles but if the oil services haven't been done regularly this shortens the life span of it.

I didn't do it on mine but its up to you. I think the part itself is just under 100 quid roughly from RPD.

sonyboy likes this.
  4. Hi TEV250, thanks for your knowledgeable response.....always good to get an insight before making a decision like this...i'm on 62k so think will wait....pivot joint and cam belt change coming in at £900...will source ball joint myself (£75 from polish ebay seller) after garage confirms it is the ball joint...so just under £1,000!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. for all the price of the dephaser your just as well getting it done at the same time as everything will have to come off again to install it at a later date unless you wait for the next cambelt change !

6. No worries. Looks pretty suspect around the lower ball joint area. They do cost a fortune to change but I haven't had any problems yet (touch wood).

If your car still sounds quiet and you do'nt think it sounds rough then probably not worth doing.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd get the dephaser done regardless, be a pain if it started rattling it's tits off shortly after the belts being done then them needing done again, in fact you'd be daft not to change it tbh.

8. Mick at diamond did my cambelt, inc the dephaser and water pump. £580 all in.

9. Yeah just to be clear OP, if you don't get the dephaser changed and it then needs doing at a later date, you're going to need the the whole belt kit replacing again. I'm not sure this point came across in the other messages.

The reason you've had a garage tell you it isn't required and only for the Clios is probably because the mk2 Meganes didn't have a dephaser fitted and they haven't realised that the mk3 does.

If you're keeping the car for a while, it makes sense to get the dephaser pulley changed, but if you're thinking of selling soon, maybe not.

10. Rentec Edinburgh do the whole lot for £399 couldn't fault their service