275 CAE removal - who’s done it it?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Lewis, Jun 3, 2018.

1. my megane is being sold at some point next week and I need to remove my CAE, is it straight forward? I’ve fitted it myself but I am mainly concerned about that captive nut that you have to cut off where a piece of the CAE sleeves over it with a grub screw. I assume this just stays in place?

Oh and don’t ask what I’m getting instead you’ll all find out soon enough!:wink:

Thanks gents.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Probably need to replace shifter cable so the old fitting will stay on and mount back up to the oem shifter tower

3. REplace the whole cable? That’s sounds like a right ball ache! There must be another way to do it you thibk?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cables are fairly cheap tbf, you could probably get a couple nuts that are the same thread to hold it on but I'm not sure I'd trust them tbf

5. Could I not just leave the existing ball socket sleeve in place that was part of the cae shifter?

6. You could but then when you sell the shifter , they haven't got the bit that threads onto it after cutting the end off.

7. OK, so I got this done yesterday, it rolls bloody AGES! I had difficulty removing the centre consol, firstly, because when I installed ignition I didn’t want to chop it as per the instructions just in case I wanted to go back to OEM. Lucky I didn’t! Anyway eventually I got the top part of the surround out and proceeded with the removal of the CAE shifter.

Once it was out, the next challenge was reinstating the secon cable which you have to cut a fixing but off to install the shifter. The problem being, even though you could leave the ball socket sleeve arrangement in place that came with the CAE, it was not the correct length to operate the OEM shifter. Tedious. So I had to check the correct cable length then manufacture a sleeve to achieve the correct length. I had to buy a special die to retap a thread to M6 on the cable as the thread on it is some kind of hoopty reverse thread so it wasn’t possible to just screw on a sleeve!

Stressful process but I got there eventually and I am happy with the work. It also works perfectly now too - result! It’s much easier to shift with he OEM shifter but it kills the driving experience once you’re used to a cae.

I am going to hold onto to it for now as I may need it...

Here are some photos of the days aggro, and hopefully they will be of use to anyone else about to undergo the same process.

Attached Files:

8. Annoyingly I can’t seem to edit the typos above so you’ll just have to interpret what I meant!