Bye Bye 265 CUP - 136,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by ASBOST, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Apologies, you may have seen this on the renaultsport forum but thought it would be good to post here too....

Well, what can I say?

After 3 years and 136,000 miles it was time to say Au Revoir to my cherished black Megane 265 CUP.

This was my first ever Megane RS or Renaultsport for that matter and to be honest was extremely cynical about the whole thing and took the plunge into the world of Renaultsport.

I've always came from a Ford or German background so going French was a first for me and had an opportunity to get the Megane 225 back in 2006 but opted for the new Focus St which just came out.....French? No way, not in a million years but strangely still had a hankering for a Renaultsport 6 years later.

So the lease was up in the Scirocco GT (2.0 tsi) after the Focus ST and I ummed and ahhed between the VXR, 265 and new Focus ST. I read all the reviews and although interior comfort and infotainment are a biggie for me i opted for the Megane 265...CUP. I couldn't get a test drive anywhere until Terry from Charles Hurst came to my rescue and not only did he have the 265 CUP but he had a Non CUP version as well....Fantastic bloke! To CUP or not to CUP was the other dilemma but opted for the CUP so the spec was:

256 CUP, Black, Red Pack, RS Monitor, Tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors.....no Recaros as I knew I would be doing a LOT of miles in three years so thought better of it...anyway my OCD would put me in hospital if the seats started to wear. The standard seats were fabulous and looked perfect when I gave the car back.

The car looked fantastic in black with the red pack , black tibors and tinted windows. OK, the interior wasn't the best and the bloody god awful excuse for a sound system.....I can't believe such a system exists in cars like these, anyhoo....

My apologies for being so cynical....what a car! in 136,000 miles and pushed hard at times (No track days) it never gave me one bit of bother, not one! My Focus St and Scirocco were all dying a death at 120,000 miles but the Megane still pulled like a train after 136,000 miles. The car was well looked after by the fantastic guys (Sean, Matt, Terry) in Charles Hurst, Boucher Road, Belfast...top notch service and will miss seeing them around!

I don't want to get into CUP vs Non CUP debate but if anyone is reading this and pondering CUP or Non CUP.....I think I'm in a good position to judge (apart from track days) I'm mid 40's, slightly overweight, 5'-10'' and no spring chicken when it comes to the old back and joints.....Yes, the suspension is a bit stiffer but in all the miles I've done I've never found the CUP ride a problem, not once and trust me I've been in the car for up to 9 hours at a time.

I do tend to get quite attached to my cars, after all i do spend quite a considerable amount of time in them but it broke my heart giving the car back and although I picked up a beautiful Golf GTI (I know, I know) it was torture driving away from my Megane [:worried:] Easily the best driving car I've ever had the pleasure of driving and hope one day i'll be back (If the infotainment improves lol)

Anyway, there will be a beautiful Megane 265 out there with high mileage and I don't want anyone being conned. The last two cars I gave back miraculously lost 70,000 miles on both cars. I have taken pictures of the VIN and the Service Record so if anyone see's a 265 CUP for sale and mileage looks a bit iffy, please drop me a mail and i'll help all I can. I know the car would have probably ended up at the auction somewhere and hope someone gets the car with an honest history.

Jeremy Clarkson one said 'to be a true petrolhead you need to own an Alfa Romeo.....' Nonsense, Renaultsport is the way to go!

I loved being a part of Renaultsport....Thank you for seeing me through my midlife crisis...I just have to adapt to being a boring German again!

Good luck all,

trickmansa and Lewis like this.
  2. Great to hear! Yours was a lovely car!

3. Nice write up... I've also come from a long line of "anything as long as it's not French" and realise I've been missing out lol

4. As above. Cracking write up.

5. My first renaultsport and also my longest car at the minute by over a year and half I've had this 3 years
    Good going 136k in 3 years

6. MBC

MBC

Yep! We do about 110 in 3 years at work but done on shift 24/7. One man and his Renault is an incredible amount of miles! Nice write up though!

7. Wow, that's some serious mileage!

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nice write-up, I thought mine was getting on at 77k LOL

9. Fantastic effort getting that mileage in. I've done a measly 40k in mine over 5 years, but mine's also going in a month or so. Like you I'll be very sad to see it go as it's easily been the best car I've owned.

10. That's a lot of v-power!

11. They are strong cars tbh, I've had 6 Renault sports since 2004 (mainly clio) and only once has one broke down, fuel pump on a 197
    Other than that brilliant all round imo

I've had my Meggy for three years now and just today on a blast home still puts a smile on my face

Very hard to beat, they just have that certain "something" (and a few rattles) :-)

12. vavavoom

13. Renaultsports are the bollox, i've had several and they're bombproof. All this nonsense about French cars being unreliable is completely outdated these days.... most cars I see broken down at the side of the road these days are VW, fords, vauxhall, mercs, etc. I think i've only ever seen one broken down Renault in all my years of driving (knowing my luck mine will break tonight on the way home from work!) :smiley: