Broken thingy in engine (Sensor?)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Scott Lewis Chambers, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Sorry I honestly don't know what is called. I'd guess its a sensor!?

Was changing my boost pipe today. And noticed the pipe to the left was hanging off.

I don't know how long is been like that. What is it? And were do I get a replacement cheeeers.

IMG_20200327_130245.jpg IMG_20200327_130413.jpg IMG_20200327_130350.jpg

Attached Files:

2. It seem another oil gases recirculator system. It have a solenoid valve that close pass with throttle on and only open the pass on idle(thats the word?). I think it is a genuine Renault part without aftermarket possibility.

3. just slide a length of rubber hose over the top and secure it with a couple of cable ties or hose clips.

Scott Lewis Chambers likes this.
  4. So just grab a length of rubber hose of ebay? Doesn't need to be anything specific?

5. Measure the outside diameter, if its 13mm either get some 13mm or 12mm internal hose and slide it over the top and either tie wrap or clamp it.
    If the i/d is slightly smaller, wipe a small amount of washing up liquid around the fitting and slide on.

6. Awesome cheers man. I'll get on that. Car won't be going anywhere for a while

7. Only one thing, that pipe have a non-return valve in the middle so, fit it in the same direction. And the hose must be oil proof (consider that oil go bad the rubber), and a bit strong (is a vacuum pipe and if it weak, can plug itself).

8. you could just replace the short section of pipe between breather outlet and the in line one-way valve with a section of fuel hose, this part of cam breather has no oil in it as opposed to other cam vent that does have oil, then slide the protection rubber back over

9. OR.......replace with reno part number: 8200862777 (check first)

10. I just ordered a peace of rubber braided oil hose. Was gonna push the two broken bits together with and cable tie it up. Tht part is an oil vapour pipe? So no oil actually passes through it then?

If I'm not happy with it I'll order the official ren part.

11. That is Scott, is an oir vapour pipe so, even if not pass pure oil, the same vapour or gas can go bad a rubber pipe. If the OEM part is not too much expensive, I would fit it directly.

12. This is what i was aiming at for you to do

13. Sorted took a while to get it on there. But it's just the right size. Fits over nicely. Still got a fair chunk of pipe left. Feel like sliding out over some other skanky bits in my car lol. IMG_20200402_114102.jpg

IMG_20200402_114322.jpg IMG_20200402_120741.jpg IMG_20200402_120737.jpg IMG_20200402_121014.jpg

14. looks good as a temp fix, could maybe replace the zip-tie with jubilee clip as the plastic tie will eventually fail

15. Ye I'm tempted to get hold of some small jubilee clips. But my experience in past with small ones they need to be really tight. And I often find they let go. And tbh the zip ties are just a measure....
    Its on there so tight I didn't really need the zip ties.

I had to use fairy liquid to slip it on. And even then I was really pulling to get it over the pipe.

Might see if I can get some small marine clips

bobsan likes this.
  16. also note you've replaced your boost pipe and secured with jubilee clip, in that location a couple of Mikalor clamps either end would give far better seal than simple jubilee

17. Mikalor clamps
    That's what I meant, I always call them marine clamps no idea why. Might grab a few cheers

18. proper good evenly distributed clamp pressure and of course won't give up to repeated hot/cold cycle

19. I always suck at getting the right size.

The pipe was 100% a fluke that it fitted, I measured lol. But no way I'd land that again.

20. Scott Lewis Chambers likes this.
  21. washing up liquid when it dries is like a glue, so should hold anyway.

22. Mikalor clamps are used a lot in the marine industry that's why you linked them i'm sure

23. Lol

Probably. I might try and get some just to make it a bit more secure