Broken dump valve spring??

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Turbo_Ric, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how you would diagnose a broken dump valve spring without disassembling it? Drove home 2 miles last night and it sounds weird! Like its spooling from the turbo and now no chatter and a whistling. Benn getting progressively worse for about 2 weeks now.

Valve was second hand when I bought it but in good nick. Would you recommend rebuilding/servicing it, if so do you have a number for the service part from Forge?

Many thanks

2. I'm not sure what your problem is but you shouldn't really get chatter with an atmospheric dump valve fitted should you? You still got boost pressure? Power?

If it turns out to be the dump valve worth emailing Forge as I had a problem with their recirc valve and they sent me a free service kit (-:

3. Still got boost pressure, although feels down on power a little. Not getting the same crisp noise from the valve that I have been used to!

4. Speak to forge? I'd be getting it swapped asap really for peace of mind.

5. I actually wondered if id split a pipe or had holed a hose or something. But it has been getting progressively worse so i'm sure it must be something to do with it. Ill get a kit this weekend and get it in bits. Its not my daily so i'm lucky in that respect.

6. Theyr realy easy to take to bits and check ric. Like others have said though forge have good customer service and iv heard of them sending out parts free of charge if there's fail.

7. I'd check all the pipes you've touched recently. Like fmic pipework and jubilee clamps. A hole in the pipework could slowly getting bigger

8. Just been on the phone to them actually mate. Service kit is £15.01 posted so I'll order 1 on Monday. Booked in at Jonty's on Thursday so I'll let him have a play or something. Jamie from Forge said it could also be an O ring or piston ware. Probably done 20k on it without fault so about time.

9. That's also true.

10. Must check all the system first looking for leaks, but if u got normal boost presion i didnt think the dump valve is the problem. Also if the spring brokes u´re on risk of overboosting and bye engine

11. It's running stage 1 @ 280hp so need to be careful. I'll have a tinker on Sunday when I'm off and take valve apart to see if it's that. Otherwise I'll have to check all boost pipe work.

12. 280 at stage 1 is good going

13. And on standard injectors mate!!

14. Who mapped it? What other boys have you done?

15. Lol just looked at the 'boys' comment, stupid phone. Meant to say mods

16. RS Tuning map. 3" turbo back exhaust, 95mm intercooler, ITG kit and the dreaded dump valve. Not a lot to be honest. Good value for money to be honest mate

17. Yeah very, bet it goes very well. I'm on the hunt for a forge recirc, not much about so will have to buy new :worried:. Then looking to get the car mapped. Only done the Airbox mod with itg filter and the back box mod.

18. As suspected, got the valve off this morning, 6 bolts later, time for a new spring and a service.

7650edd9e271db292e19ee45eb0e9174.jpg

fa348afa14eb8f3087c3274397f849fe.jpg

19. Nice!!! Great when your spot on with the diagnosis first time . . .

20. Yes mate. Means I don't have to go looking for knackered pipe work now. Also, called Forge up and they're sending me a new spring for free under warranty. Even though its second hand and I've done 20k miles on it. Very happy with that result. Top blokes.