Brakes...why so difficult to choose

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by evojkp, Mar 4, 2017.

1. I have to change pads and front discs on my 275 and have been reading thread after thread on here and elsewhere and I'm no further forward lol.

A couple of options...

1. Replace with std disc, as during last years track outings they were good, but a total standard set up so maybe DS2500, std discs, hoses and fluid change.
    2. Or as above but take the oppurtunity to replace with two piece discs. Been looking at godspeed, reyland and PF. Prices for GS about £100 cheaper than Reyland where reading I dont thing Reyland seem £100 better (whatever that means), but cannot see a price for PF discs and their website seem to be US based, anyone using these on Mk3 and what price roughly are they. Who is the supplier in UK?

Still got over a week offshore, so will be looking to get these sorted when I get home this time.

2. Personally I would avoid 2-piece disks unless you have money to burn. The replacement discs are very expensive compared to standard. I would start with new fluid and some uprated pads. The standard braking on these is pretty decent. This is, of course, my opinion and depends entirely on your braking technique.

evojkp likes this.
  3. www.asperformance.co.uk
    can supply you what ever you need.
    Speak to Alyn he will give you honest advice and is able to supply what ever you need at very competitive prices.

evojkp likes this.
  4. You only change something if you have a problem. Else don't change it

Are you over heating?

Are you experiencing fade?

Is the initial bite to your liking?

If what you have works, then keep it

git-r, evojkp and BIG E like this.
  5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I really wouldn't bother with 2 piece discs on them, plain OEMs are cheap to replace and last well on track providing your not a total mongo

git-r, sunnylunn and evojkp like this.
  6. Easy , stock discs , a good brake pad (Pagid RS29 , Endless ) a good brake fluid (Motul RBF 660 , Castrol SRF ) and you're ready.

odinson, evojkp and -Jamie- like this.
  7. Cheers guys, much appreciated. I was swithering, but stock disks, hoses, fluid and better pads. I never got fade on track, but initial bite on OE pads was a bit scary at times.

Happy days

8. I tried a lot of brake pads for track but for me the best by far are the Endless circuit compound CC43, I order them here but always ask if they ship with low invoice to avoid high import taxes and they always do :-) 150£ + 40£ shipping and around 25£
    importtaxes Total around 215£ you won't find them cheaper.... Ask for EP 357 with CC 43 compound.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/endless-circuit-compound-brake-pads-cc33-cc38-cc40-cc43-cc60.html

9. Great bit info as Endless are next on list to try out, out of interest did you try Carbotec XP range at all, the xp10 is a formidable pad itself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm really struggling to pull myself away from Carbotechs, want to try one of the new RS-T or RS-L Pagid compounds but it's hard trying to find anyone with actual experience with them.

May give the XP12 or 20 a try this season

11. Out in Spain in couple weeks time with XP10 as default pad in our group and XP12 along as well for cross reference, know the 12's offer stronger retardation but at what cost to disc's as they're not as kind, we'll have close look at the delta of pad v's disc wear.

git-r likes this.
  12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I think the 12s are harder on discs but the 20s are similar to the 10s from what I can gather, they are more am endurance spec compound. Or I'm getting mixed up.

Basically I want a pad that stops and works like an xp10 but has the same sort of life as RS29s, not much to ask [emoji23]

13. Never tryd Carbotec brake pads but will in the future , the Endless circuit compound lasts a long time on track ,most Germans drive them on the Nurburgring...

bobsan likes this.
  14. Ferodo ds uno have been amazing for me. Disc life is excellent and can stamp know the brakes all day without worry

git-r and bobsan like this.
  15. Sorted. Hoses, fluid, replacement OEM discs and RS29's. Get home next week from offshore and it goes in on Wednesday.

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Good choice on pads, watch the Temps with them though, the wear rate is massively exacerbated when they are running too hot. I went through half the friction material on a day at Spa because I thought they were able to manage high Temps a lot better, granted I was doing 45 min stints

git-r, evojkp and nickfrog like this.
  17. Yep. That's my experience too - past a certain temp the wear is exponential - the critical threshold at Silverstone for me on PFC Z was 7 laps, which I breached on a couple of occasions...

18. Out of interest have you used the PFC 08s (up grade from the Z's) they are brilliant but a little harsh and have a tendency to squeal but they certainly stop you at any temperature, they are a used by some in the 24hr Le mans

Mattyt and nickfrog like this.
  19. It's tempting particularly as I know the people at PFC. BUT, I just wondered if they're not one grade too far creating too much imbalance with the OE rears friction coefficient (obviously I could upgrade those too but the Brembo rear pads are like £20) and probably more crucially if they would work (at all) after 10 miles of cold weather fast motorway use or even first thing in the morning... Still tempting though !!???

BIG E likes this.
  20. Looking forward to this change and first trackday with them. Hopefully a decent difference when i get back on track again. Next its the coilers and CAE....and so it begins, small stuff first then slippery slope lol

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd forget the cae and spend the money on other things that actually make a difference [emoji23]

22. But it looks so damn good....not caring if it does nothing, I just NEED it lol.

Pyper likes this.
  23. Got this mod done now. Hoses, fluid, replacement discs (grooved) and pagid rs29 pads.

Not been on track yet with them, hopefully soon, but performance on road is like night and day to the std setup. Well pleased.

Only downside is the squeals at low speed. A couple of hard stops sort them out.

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

RS29s are mega mate, I ran them with RSRs on an other wise stock RS250 and was doing 60/61s round Knockhill.

You doing any dreadnought nights?

25. No looked yet. I'm back offshore next week so will be looking for a session next time home. I missed out on last weekends sidc day due to being committed else where.

Yeah I think these pads will be very good as the abuse I've given them so far has been very positive.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I've booked the may 11 dreadnought night so far but I'm looking at a couple dates for April as well

27. Spotted that date. Think I'll call tomorrow and see if there is space as I'm home for that one. Been a while since I done a dreadnought session.

28. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They still had spaces when I was in the other day, I know them well as I've used them for years

evojkp likes this.
  29. I hope you're looking after my calipers Jamie haha

30. Also meant to say....Insurance....well they let me down big time. Took out my policy not too long ago, stating that I will be modifying the car and gave a list of things that would be done this year. At the time of premium payment, "that's no problem sir. just let us know!" So called up this well known insurer of modified cars to be told they cannot cover my brake hose and fluid mods, so gave me 7 days notice of cancellation......perfect service!!

So on the phone to Greenlight who I have dealt with before. A decent price, no increase for any mods and trackday coverage included (£50 per trackday rather than £165 via Moris, so a win for me) As said, used them before but will never use AF ever again. Shocking service.

31. I phoned AF for a quote for mine with all the mods, came back with a price, told them i was going to look around and they were quite adamant that there quote was the best i was going to get and nobody was going to better it, got a bit shirty when i wouldn't sign up, phoned Greenlight different all together and £80 cheaper.

Admiral wouldn't insure mine because i took out my rear seats :openmouth:

32. Greenlight are good. Never any issues. I only moved to AF when I bought my E92 as greenlight don't do Bmw. Won't use AF again even if they are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33. That's good to know, if they don't do BMW's looks like i will be staying with them then, will give them a call to see if they do cover for Mercedes as i am going to start using mine again.
    The guy i spoke to at Greenlight fully expected me to try elsewhere before signing up.

34. Just booked on for May 11th

-Jamie- likes this.
  35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

See you there :wink:

evojkp likes this.
  36. Another vote for Ferodo. You can experience improved braking with this pad.

37. I run Performance Friction 08 compound on the race car after having overheating issues with a few pads and can say they are awesome not grabby at all compared to some and last longer than a lot of other pads! Use brembo HC discs it you can as well!!! Great combo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG E likes this.
  38. Agreed..

Mattyt likes this.
  39. Do these squeak? I saw Apex Taxi from the Ring been sponsored by them and they currently run ME22 in their rentals.
    I'm coming from PFZ Z Rated and haven't been impressed with them at all. Inital bite is dull but it's redeeming feature is that is remains that way even after extended use

40. I had the cc63's in my 225, they were really really good, lasted a very long time as well, felt good from cold, never faded with endless trackdays never had a single problem with them squeaking, paid silly money for mine.
    Once they wore out i went for PF z rated worked very well on my 225 with the mk3 brakes, put the PF z's in my 265 and they were rubbish, in the end i went for Carbon Lorraine RC8's, expensive but very very good.
    Did try the Ferodo Ds uno's in the 265 and they were still very good.

Now i'm back in a Mk2, a R26, put the DS uno's in there they were really great, now i'm back on the PF z rated pads, they work very well on the R26