Brakes: Size vs Weight?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Pipe & Slippers, Jan 27, 2014.

1. I noticed on the recent discussion of 330mm brake kits, that the weight of various kits was mentioned.
    That made me wonder what do people think is more important? Smaller rotors and lower unsprung mass (therefore better handling?), or bigger rotors at the expense of a few kilos extra unsprung mass?

Enlighten me...

2. iirc the 330mm kits weigh the same as the oem discs.

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Typically larger 2 piece discs with Alloy bells are lighter anyway......

4. Even a few kilos off the unsprung mass can make quite a difference in how the car feels to drive.
    I had some wheel on my Clio that took about 8kg out of it and the difference in steering weight /feel and transient (think that's the word.. ) throttle response was very noticeable.

5. Also worth noting that the weight difference between new and old tyres is far more than what any brake kit will be. something that people often overlook.

6. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

^thats a good shout..

7. 330mm brakes are apparently slightly lighter but its going to be minimal even for unsprung weight. Braking performance will always give you quicker times round a circuit.

Dave

8. bigger brakes dia, even if at same mass has much more giroscopic effect. and that is what is the most important at cornering.
    and also for the same mass, the bigger dia, will have a much bigger moment of inertia, not to mention if the whole weight is at the outer part of the diameter is, and the center is light.
    you can put 20kg of led as a spacer, and it will only hurt the suspension how fast it reacts, but you wont feel it on the throttle, or in cornering as its moment of inertia is much much smaller.