Brake problem

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Juso muminovic, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Juso muminovic

Juso muminovic RSM Club Member

I’ve got a problem with my brakes, I’ve changed discs and pads all round and had them bled but after a few days my pedal keeps dropping to the floor and the car BARELY stops at all, I’ve had them pressure bled and bled the abs system 3 times and again it will be fine for 3 or so days the. I lose the brakes completely

can anyone help please I’m really losing my patience with this car

I’m supposed to be going Nurburgring with this thing next month ‍♂️

HELP PLEASE!
    Thank you

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Are you loosing fluid ???
    What happens if you pump the peddle when the peddle goes a long way down ???

I know this might sound stupid :openmouth:, but are the hub nuts tight ??? been there done that :rage::rage:

Are the hand brake cables fully releasing ???

3. Juso muminovic

No I’m not losing any fluid the reservoir is at the max level, yes everything is tight I’ve had 3 different mechanics bleed the brakes and the exact same thing happens after a few days. It’s not making ANY sense to me anymore I seriously don’t know what to do

4. Juso muminovic

When I try to pump the peddle it’s doesn’t get any stiffer it’s just keeps going straight to the floor, it feel completely soft like there no fluid in the system but the reservoir is full

5. ianplymouth

I seriously don't know then, that's a real weird one

6. ianplymouth

I could be a calliper seal, try pushing the pistons all the way back in and then pump them back out, do the rears as well, i've known the seals to stick to the pistons and pull the pistons back in, it only need to be very slight amount to make a big difference in peddle travel

just a thought

7. Juso muminovic

I’ve changed the master cylinder too
    thanks anyway I do appreciate it, selling this piece of crap soon as it’s fixed and never again getting one of these it’s seriously put me off ‍♂️

8. Juso muminovic

I’ll give that a go thank you

9. ianplymouth

Your car is just trying to bond with you, to see how much you care about it :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Juso muminovic likes this.
  10. You said "I’ve had 3 different mechanics bleed the brakes"
    1. did air bubbles discharge?
    2. which wheels? all the same amount of air from each wheel?
    3. if no air bubbles then could be
    • as suggested piston seal holding back; if bubbles unlikely
    • I would say either Master Cylinder (but you said its been replaced) or ABS

I assume no fault codes?
    And handbrake on both rear wheels work correctly with no excessive travel on lever when you loose the brakes?

11. Juso muminovic

Yes handbrake is all good and no fault codes showing, the last mechanic said the n/s/f had the most air in

Would that mean the caliper itself would need changing?

12. To be honest I'm not sure. I was hoping no air in the system, and that it was an issue with the ABS or master, where one of the internal valves or seals weren't sealing properly.

You would think that if air got into the circuit via the caliper, that under pressure, brakes applied, there would be a leak (ie loose fluid level).

Sorry I was of no help

13. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before install. Also just because it’s a new master cyclinder doesn’t mean it’s not defective

14. Juso muminovic

no u appreciate it anyway thank you, this cars just doing my head in badly now ‍♂️ need to get rid