265 Box chop vs Cat back system

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ben_r1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. I know this has been covered in detail but I can't quite get the answers I'm looking for.

Currently I have the rear box chop pipe from eBay on the 265, it sounds well and purposeful but coming from an ITB'd and stripped 197 I find it still too quiet.

I'm very tempted to buy a stainless cat back system ( either Scorpion or Milltek ) and rarely at the moment I'm in a position to use some spare funds. Question is has anybody gone from a box chop to a full stainless? I'm aware that even with a cat back non res system it's still not the loudest setup in the world? I'm not expecting 130db dragster flame spitting noise but if it were just as reserved as the box chop it'd be a waste of money.

Also I plan to get the car mapped later in the year once the Ktec IC is fitted so are there any performance benefits to be had from a cat back system over the OEM with a box chop?

Thanks all.

2. I also find milltek to be a very similar sound / noise level to OEM maybe slightly more throaty so if you want more noise I would suggest looking at another system. Cannot speak for Scorpion though.

3. If its anything like my old r26, the backbox chop released a lot of noise and ran 96-98db on track which matched the ktec 2.75 system. The 3" system is even quieter.

I therefore assume you would have the same scenario with the 265, decat is where all the noise comes from (and flames!)

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yep, If you want noise Ben it needs a decat/sports cat

5. Decat out of the question, done that my whole life and mots are a PITA when it's an easy swap.

Lets talk sports cats. Didn't realise they made the car louder as there was still a restriction? Are there any real life gains to be had? I thought these days they were so well designed there's very little benefit?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There was a couple Belgian or Dutch guy running sports cats with gains.

They are still a lot less restrictive than the stock cat though, I ran a miltek sports cat on my old Fiesta then fitted a decat for a while and there was very little in the way of extra noise, Just more flames :wink:

7. That's good to know, I see RS tuning have a sports cat for the 250 I'll look into that!

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If i were going down the Sport cat route i wouldn't be going for any off the shelf item tbh, Decat pipe with a custom front section with a Sports cat in it, Should be cheaper that way, plus you can always swap to a full decat if you ever wanted with ease :smile:

9. But then I'd have to weld into the original system and I'd rather keep that to return the car to standard. RSTs sports car comes with lifetime warranty so could be a fit and forget item!

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah sorry, that was on the assumption of going for a catback as well

11. I've decided on the sports cat, where's the best place to get one?

I can only see ktecs 225 item for £400! Are the 225 and 250 cats/sport cats/decats the same fitment and interchangeable?

Anyone else sell sports cats for 225/250 apart from ktec?