Box Chop - mid or back?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by geegee28, Jan 23, 2015.

1. This has probably been asked a gizzillion times and I'm sorry but which is better and what is the difference between the 2 in terms of popping and turbo noise?

2. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Middle chop removes turbo whistle. I'll be having my back box removed soon while I wait for a full system.

3. Glad you've asked the question as I'm keen to know too. There aren't many threads that actually compare the two options. Presumably people have waited for their warranties to expire?

4. I've had the backbox chop and absolutely love, it's louder then I expected it to be when full chat but still quiet when being a Sunday driver.

5. Mid box takes away the turbo whistle back box gives it a more throaty sound and keeps the turbo whistle!

6. I have it booked into a garage near me and I have asked for backbox chop. I want to make sure I make the right decision. Backbox sounds like better option to me

7. Midbox chop is louder with more pops and bangs but you lose the turbo whistle and it sounds like a tractor at idle. Back box is really deep and throaty with lots of pops especially on the over run

8. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Mid chop sounds like a tractor at idle?! Really? My mid box chop must be broken then.

9. I take it this will still pass mot fine if done properly. It sounds like a easy cheaper way to get a even better sound from the exhaust

10. Imo yes, the multiple videos ive seem and the car I've heard did.

11. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I see. Well mine and countless others have never sounded like tractors but what do I know.

Both boxes gone I could say one or two sound abit tractoresque on startup idle maybe

12. i had my backbox chopped not so long ago. Was great mod for not much money, definitely more throaty and good cheap mod if your considering it.

few pops on overrun as been mentioned and sounds nice on idle. I think on reflection i may have preferred the middle box chop.

For me the turbo whistle is a lot louder on the back box chop and i may be the only one but i cant stand the whistle sound. it doesn't sound good it just sounds like your cars fooked or the belts are on the way out.

Anyway ive got bored of running the backbox chop and just ordered KTR cat back.

13. My 250 sounds like a spitfire in the morning when i first get it out of garage with the midbox chop

probably why i get a few nasty looks from the neighbours opposite in the day time

14. you and I both know that's not true Phil. Stop s***ing on their lawn! :smiley:

15. Its not the lawns i shit on its the stupid eco cars that the full street seems to own :rolleyes:
    theres 1 who likes to brag about his £0 road tax and his 60mpg
    so i like to play mine down to him and say i get around 18mpg and smile ;for some reason it seems to upset him

16. Have you gone for the 3inch? You already have a decat dont you?

17. No i havent got decat just standard exhaust with back box chop. I was going to go for the 3 inch but it says the 2.75 inch has smaller resonator so louder. So went for that one. The tailpipes are 3 inch though

18. Have you got any videos of it? I had a backbox chop a while ago and have considered a mid box chop but not sure if it would be too loud

19. Right we need to get some good videos up for comparisons.

I have "borrowed" Sarah Casper's videos of her mid box chop results here:
    Before:
    https://vimeo.com/117835015

After:
    https://vimeo.com/117835478

Can someone do the same with the back box chop if they have good quality vids?
    Any moderators willing to make this a sticky?

20. Sorry rory only just seen your reply

i too would love to know what its like with them both ,whats the price for the backbox chop

21. I have been quoted 75 quid for mine to be done

22. Depends if werr taking mk2 or 3. Mk2 sound best with a backbox chop andmk3 with a midbox chop imo!

23. I paid £90 which is pricey at mij performance in walsall. Looks like a midbox chop with backbox chop it wouldnt stop popping and banging. If only i can convince swmbo

24. I am doing the midbox chop this weekend (mk3 250 standard exhaust), got all week off to find myself some pipe! is that the best way? cut and weld new pipe? the garage are doing the work but its cheaper if i get the bits and bobs. thanks guys

25. meant to ask what size as well duh. cheers

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Honestly, Just take it to a decent exhaust place. Its hardly an expensive thing to do in the first place instead of pissing about trying to find the pipe you need

Bowen likes this.
  27. Its a £80 job at most including them providing the pipe

28. Yeah let them provide the pipe. Mine cost £80 and was job done in under an hour.

29. i dont have a decent exhaust place near me, the best one i could find is a place that fits exhausts and they dont know anything about it, Im in East Yorkshire and theres nothing!

He was going on about unbolting and when i told him it was one piece you could here the sigh. if i could get someone to provide the pipe and fit it in under an hour for £80 then i would!

30. No longlife centres near you at all? I thought they were practically everywhere.

31. Not near me, Im between York and Hull so either would be okay if its a quick job.

32. this the after video. Didn't take a before. I'm quite happy. I feel the megane is too quiet as standard.

http://youtu.be/hb90N_TLZ08

33. I had the back box chopped on my 225 Trophy just the other week and am very pleased with it.

It sounds how it's meant to sound, throaty and sporty without sounding amplified not like a chavvy exhaust can sound. Well pleased with mine.

Also just right if you chauffeur a little one in the back like I do. Doesn't interfere with the refinement when you're driving normally.

34. Thanks for everyone's input into this thread. I've plumbed for a mid-box chop which is being done on Friday at Northwest Performance and they quoted £75 which seems on the better end of about right. Watch this space.

35. Any chance you can get a before and after interior vid?

36. Yup will do my best but will just be iphone footage.

37. Thanks mate!