R26 Boost

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Geoff230F1, May 22, 2019.

1. Evening all, I've had my car since Feb and when I bought it the owner said if you were driving the car hard it could go into limp mode. It never happened on the road but at a track day I did recently it happened.
    Powering hard out of a corner high in the Rev range, say 5500rpm in 3rd you could here the boost really come on increasing to 6000rpm (much louder whooshing sound)then changing into 4th there was very obviously no drop in boost and the car would shut down and go into limp mode. It happened again and again which meant I had to keep limping the car back to the pits. The only way I could do laps was to change up early and not let it get on too much boost.
    Does anyone know what I can do about this? I thought this could be a mapping problem but is it the recirculating valve? I have an invoice saying it's been mapped to 270bhp but no graph etc to back it up.
    I think I need to get it mapped regardless.

2. Sounds like it could be over boosting resulting in the cut of power

3. I think you're right Dale. Is this a mapping issue?

4. I would have thought so, yes. Could be wastegate or n75 valve related, but if it was either of those I'd imagine you would have issues more often and a fault code.

5. So I’m not the only one! Exactly the same issue as you, will only happen on track, cannot replicate it on the road. If you find the solution, let me know as I’m lost to what it could be!

6. Will keep the thread updated
    Since the track day I've fitted a cat back exhast. I'm planning on an uprated recirculating valve and air filter then get it mapped.
    I'm happy with 250-260, more would be nice but I'm not chasing numbers

7. I'm anticipating a replacement turbo solonoid from speaking to engine dynamics. Car is booked in for mapping on the 18th June.
    As well as the Ktech exhaust the car now has an ITG panel filter in the standard airbox and Properfekt valve. It had a full service a month ago.
    See what happens!?!

8. Why do people go for the Properfekt valve over other brands ? Please tell.

9. At engine dynamics having the car mapped. Car is running 237 bhp on its present map and it's not set up well. They are expecting sub 250 bhp after its been sorted

10. End result 250.4 bhp. Safe injector cycle and no more limp mode. Set up right now thanks to engine dynamics. I would recommend their services. Well chuffed. Drive home should be fun

Dale1uk, ianplymouth and matt e like this.
  11. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

same quality as the forge people say but half the cost

12. Let us know how it is when you get home :laughing::laughing:

13. 2 hr drive back on all types of road, shame it's so wet but everywhere it is better, same car, just feels like it's been let off its reigns. Stage 2 being planned already lol

Dale1uk likes this.
  14. The difference between an average/poor map and a good one is huge even when the gains on paper might only be fairly small. When I went from a poor Ktec map to a great EFI map I only gained 8bhp, and lost 15ftlbs, but the difference in the way it drives and feels is something else.

So what are you fitting next Geoff? Intercooler and injectors?

15. I've been advised that opening up the airbox, injectors, intercooler and decathlon would nudge 300 and that the decat will make a notable difference but I don't want the complications at mot time

16. On mine I have the 3" ktec exhaust from the turbo back, so including their de-cat. This was installed by the previous owner who obviously had a friendly mot tester. When I purchased the car I got a universal 3" sports cat welded in under the car on the downpipe, just before the joint to the center section. It now passes the emissions test without any problems, and still frees up some extra bhp over the stock cat.

I had mine mapped at EFI without the sports cat fitted and made 297/307. This is with 630cc injectors, ktec turbo back 3" exhaust, ktec induction kit, and Forge intercooler (stock turbo and engine internals) I'd expect my bhp figure to be around 290 with the sports cat in place.

The question is is it worth spending a good chunk of money on an intercooler, injectors, decat pipe, and sports cat to gain an extra 40-50bhp?

17. Hell yeah it is lol. Maybe not the decat as I don't want the hassle. And I said I wasn't chasing numbers.....slippery slope

18. Cheers for that Matt.... ironically i have just been given a Forge one along with the silicone T hose.........should i utilise it on my car rather than the Properfect which i have not got as yet [the guy is shocking at replying ]

19. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

Silicone t piece?

Recirc valve or blow off valve?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

20. If it’s got a tee piece it must be a blow off valve.

21. Sounds like you've got a Forge atmospheric dump valve not a Forge recirc valve.

The Properfekt is a recirculating valve that replaces the oem valve on the turbo. The recirc valve, dumps the air back into the intake hose. Depending on if you've still got the stock airbox or a cone filter will dictate how audioable this is.

The Forge atmospheric dumps the air into the engine bay with, IMO, a chavtastic WOOOSHHHH

I swapped my Forge atmospheric for a Properfekt recirc valve as I couldn't stand the noise the Forge one made

22. Not knowing too much about F P6210541.JPG orge products i am guessing its BOV....see attached. Is that the original beside it?

23. As i thought its a chave dump item. If you look at the pic is the other one the next to the Forge the factory item.?
    The guy on Ebay that sells Properfect items simply wont return emails..... i have been trying for 3 months now..... is there anywhere else i can purchase this product from.? [as i believe the OE is unreliable and leaks ]
    Any tip much appreciated.

24. Yep, that's a Forge BOV and the stock recirc valve.

Regarding buying a Properfekt one, I got mine off ebay from the same seller and it came in decent time. I never tried contacting him prior to purchasing so can't comment on the lack of reply.

If you want a UK seller then you can get them from Engine Dynamics, but it'll cost you more:

https://www.engine-dynamics.com/Per...-Turbo-Recirculation-Valve-Quiet-Operatio.asp

25. Thats great Dale..... i will order from ED....they are only 3 quid more and their service will surely be better than the dude in Poland. I love supporting the UK economy too !!! LOL

26. £3 more? They're £91 delivered from Engine Dynamics and £69 delivered from Poland, where they are made.

27. Engine D has it for 72 quid [excl VAT] Poland = 69quid Ebay
    I am in OZ thus dont pay the UK Vat which helps :}

Dale1uk likes this.
  28. Stock turbo and you're making that power?! Are you sure?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

29. Yep, at 18psi. The torque drops off too much to be a 250/265/275 turbo, plus I've got a huge folder full of all the old invoices for the car and there's no mention of the turbo ever being changed.

20180414-182208.jpg

Si271 likes this.