Boost leak?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by jamesbeaumont, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Out in my car earlier and noticed it isn't pulling smoothly under hard acceleration with what sounds like a judery misfire and boost on the RS monitor flickering up and down under full throttle.
    I looked under the bonnet and found a small hole around .5mm diameter on the pictured pipe?! Would this be the culprit? I attempted a temporary fix with an epoxy resin patch and a clamp which seeks to have gone some way to fix it however it is still judery...
    Does anyone know the part number and price for the pipe?
    2e2de48d5805681926486cc62b3e6f50.jpg

2. Is the part number whats engraved into the top of the pipe?

3. Couldn't you just cut the section out and replace with a silicone joiner. Couple of quid off eBay.

4. I could, or I could use an exhaust repair patch, I'm just a bit confused as to why the above fix hasn't worked. Any opinions as to if it was the source of the problem? I didn't think the pressures involved here would be that high?

5. Would seem something very wrong there to get a hole in a metal pipe. If you get stuck ill have one of these, give me a shout :smile:

Could be wrong but I think the pipe comes as 1 bit from Renault for about £170?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Thats the boost hose, Goes to the intercooler.

7. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

I'm confused as to why the above hasn't worked either?

Looks like it's perfect.

8. yup, confused me!

9. would that still only be running 30psi or so?

10. Mr pink - ill pm you!

11. Nmp

Nmp

Around 15psi

12. Cant understand why that fix hasn't worked then!

13. Nmp

Nmp

check the rest of your hoses and the intercooler

14. So I have revealed it and it seems absolutely fine. I think the fact I was driving with the seats down for the first time compounded the problem as there is more noise and it seemed different.
    Would it be fair to say the exhaust noise on full boost isn't normally entirely consistent or smooth?