Boost leak?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ahmed918, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Seem to have developed a boost leak, no warning lights on dash however the power just isn’t there and it’s making a slightly different ‘whooshing’ noise and it isn’t the usual induction kit/recirc valve noise. No smoke out the back either

The obvious accessible boost pipes seem connected securely so unsure where it could be.

Car has done about 45k miles, assuming one of the pipes had perished, should i replace all the major boost pipes seeing as if it’s happened to one, it could develop on others?

Assuming it isn’t one of the main pipes, how can i go about sourcing the leak?

Thanks in advance

2. Has it had any work done to the turbo that you know of?

Very often the bolts holding the turbo to the manifold can come loose if they've been undone in the past. I noticed mine on a cold start up, the sound was very 'wooshy' and when I popped the bonnet, noticed a slight bit of smoke from the back of the engine (mine was burning oil so it was easy to spot), put my hand down the back and could feel a slight leak.

Could be worth looking at, hopefully it's not as it's a bastard of a job to get too!

3. Hi mate

No work done to the turbo whatsoever.

Managed to sort it today at the garage. The 90 degree reducer boost hose had perished up top by the join. Managed to source a new silicone hose locally and fastened down with jubilee’s

Fortunately not a turbo housing job!

Cheers

Agreen likes this.