BMW 320d Estate

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by Salty, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

as per title I'm coming to the point where the Meg will be going at some point as I need a bigger car to get the kids in now they are getting bigger and 2 cars is impractical to run and going to cost too much.

Has anyone had a 320d and got anything good or bad to say? anything to look out for when buying etc and do they map well lol.

2. Get a 330d. My mate had one and was at about 300 bhp after a map!

3. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

yeh I know, problem is they are like rocking horse shit and out of my price range for a decent one tbh. looking at spending just under 14k :worried:

4. Don't buy bmw! Just don't.

5. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

well that was helpful lol

6. Lol yeah needless to say I don't like them

7. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

any reason why?

8. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

want something that's not going to rattle and squeak lol

9. Just don't like their styling and can give some trouble, I agree with dinn

10. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

11. Your money, so you will buy whatever fits you and your needs.

Personally I wouldn't buy 320. It is not so quick, it is quite smaller then average D segment car, it seems to be overpriced and shape is rather too common. Some people think it has got "prestige" :rolleyes:

Have you considered any others cars? For £14k you may get DS5 DSport 1.6 THP 200 or 2.0 HDI 163, P508 GT 200, Mondeo 2.5 220 or even decent "performance car" such as Evo 9 or 10 (if you lucky), Impreza STi or Golf R mk6.

12. It's up to you what you want next and suits what your needs are. I'm looking at an e91 330d m-sport to replace our golf now we have 2 kids

13. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

understand where your coming from, as for looking at other cars yes I have, the performance car is out of the window for the moment as I'm trying to save a little on running costs not increase if I can, I also want an estate to fit the family and dog in easier, any estate with 200ish bhp would be considered :smile:

14. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

the hatchbacks just don't cut it imo :worried:

15. We've had our golf for 7 years now and love it but we've outgrown it. Mapped Mk5 2.0 gt tdi 180bhp, excellent on running costs reliability etc but it's just to small now. It's even worse squeezing in the megane!

16. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

know what you mean, ours are 5 and 8 and really tight in the Meg now, I've held out as long as I can, I've even looked at 250's but they seem even smaller in the back.

17. I looked at the 250 and they do look quite small in the back. Ours are 4 & 11 weeks. The car seats are half the problem and the other half is the boot full of pushchair! Hopefully I'm going to wangle it a so I keep the megane

18. I still manage with 250, and my little one is 4 :wink:

Salty - if you wanna decrease the costs, and have a fast estate car then Mondeo 2.5 220 will not tick your boxes. Try to test drive P508 2.2 HDI GT SW. They are much bigger then 320 and much better equipped (hud, massage for front seats, sat nav, leather, panoramic roof as standard). Only one thing, they are automatic.

19. We're considering a 525d or 530d estate.

Friend of mine has a remapped 530d and I love it.

20. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

fancied a 330 bit but out of the price range tbh. the 325 isn't worth going to the 3l imo, might as well pay and have the 330 power lol.
    tbh was hoping to get 210ish from a map and be quite happy with a compromise. I do like the cars and think they look good and was happy with how it drove.

21. I had a 320d touring for over a year and they are quality motors. Plenty of pulling power on the motorways and the handling was decent too. It was reliable as anything and didn't faulted once, surprised as my 318i before that conked out 3 times in less than a year. It was something to do with the ignition coils from that start stop feature so I would check that.

Good motors overall but not that spacious if I'm honest, the boot is small once opened and for me on my own it was ok so for a family I'm not sure. Bonus side is plenty of snow days off work as it will not move on anything other than a slight downhill when the icy weather hits.

22. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

good stuff, i dont want a barge size wise and from the meg the 320 is a decent size tbh

23. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Meg saloon diesel. I have one as a daily. They rock (literally, my mounts are shot)

24. I'd buy a 3 series tomorrow, we've got a 1 series m sport 2.0 diesel as well as the r26 and its a joy to drive.

With it being the m sport it's a little stiffer and with 177hp and a bag of torque it's quite a fun drive and still returns 60+mpg on a run an around 50 daily

[​IMG]

I know everyone is saying how other competitors are cheaper but bmw's do seem to hold there value better when you come to sell, especially diesels.

25. I'd rather have an Audi A4 estate 2.0 TDI sport line, lovely motors brilliant build quality and will go forever, look mint in white and well within your budget john , mate has one and it drives lovely mate

26. I've got an e92 320d. Its a great car, done 65k in it in the last two and half years and bar servicing and tyres (again not too ridiculous) its not cost me a penny. Its got enough torque & power for most situations and is a comfortable cruiser. I'm mainly a motorway driver at motorway speeds and I'm averaging 53mpg. Mixed driving would bring it just under 50mpg.

Will keep it about another year and then look towards a replacement. Had the 4 series not arrived another e92 would be a contender.

27. Some of these have 2.0 tdi engine with only 110, 120 or 140 hp. Will it be enough?

28. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

lol think this is what I'm trying to get away from build quality wise ha ha :smile:

29. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

so like the audis mate but for 12-14k you struggle to get one not more than 5 years old or high miles, Ideally I want less than 50k and 3-4 years old and the audis in this range are 15-16k.

this is also an issue with the Audi, I want 200+ bhp at some point so the 320 sounds good as will get to 220/400 odd lb/ft.

30. Have you already tried P508 GT 2.2 hdi 200 SW? You will be surprised how good they are. It may tick all your boxes.

31. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

I have looked when you mentioned them last, but there aren't that may around and they are a slimilar price to the beemers and tbh I'd like to bet the 508 won't be worth as much in another 3 years.