Blue Smoke - Oh dear.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bob Thompson, Nov 12, 2023.

1. So, The story continues.

After finding the 26 down on compression on two cylinders (what a surprise!) I got the engine rebuilt and went forged - Wossner pistons/rods, uprated Valves/springs, new hybrid turbo, decat.

Carried out the run in process of a thousand miles, had it mapped to new 630 injectors and I was a happy bunny - the car is stonkingly fast.

I've always been a bit anal with my warm up routine, I always make sure to get the all fluids upto temp before giving it the beans.

Have done about 1000 miles since its mapped and finished. I went out for a bit of driving and started to notice some blue smoke when lifting off throttle... worse when going downhill it seams. I had a friend following me at the time - we spoke on the phone while I adjusted the throttle - no smoke under partial/constant throttle. It's only when I lift off do I get a plume of smoke. I haven't driven the car since.

Has anyone had anything similar?

PCV system? Turbo oil seal? valve stem seals? I'm racking my brain to figure it out.

2. Who carried out the work, how long ago was it?.

3. It was built in the summer, and I picked it up complete after mapping July 1st.

It’s from a very well respected/recommended company (esp on these forums. I’m not saying who it is.) - I'm struggling to get contact from them at the moment. But I know they’re very busy.

Getting a little frustrated. I don’t want to compromise my warranty by doing something to the car, and I’m not able to drive the car it if it’s puffing our blue smoke. So I’m just having to wait until I get a response.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

If the PCV is stuck open it would draw oil from the engine into the intake, right?

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Bob
    To put it plainly you hybrid turbo is fucked.
    A standard turbo has plain bearing, if it over spins it will kill the bearing and the thrust seal.

I've had 3 hybrid turbo's, all of them failed, best was about 2k miles worst was just under 700.
    This is what happened to the best hybrid turbo i had
    https://flic.kr/p/2jqZ6Mo

Do you know how much you were charged for the turbo ???, there are some good ones around but most are using cheap Chinese parts.
    You would need to spend close to £2k for a possibly good hybrid, this is now why i use the 6758 twin Scroll turbo, it's rated at 500hp standard, my R26 made 436, but was dropped back to 403hp, we thing the head has been skimmed in the past and put the compression ratio up, that why it didn't get to an expected 450 ish.

To be honest it doesn't really need any more power than that for a MK2.

https://flic.kr/p/2pcxs3g

5. Grrrrreat…. Oh joy.

thanks for your response Ian - sorry you’ve had so many issues.

I’ll have to get it trailered/towed back to the builder…

6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Ohhh i can't wait to hear what he will say about that, i think i will know and the last word will be "off" i'm sure.

But i really hope i'm wrong for your sake