250 Blown Intercooler!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by EdsterJ, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Hello,

As the title suggests, I've blown my intercooler on my RS 250 CUP after a couple of months ownership and I'm just curious as to how reliable the standard cooler is and whether it's worth getting an upgrade?
    Should mention that I'm also running a KTR induction and generic bluefin so, curious also as to whether this could have been the cause and likely to happen again?

Cheers

2. I for one have never heard of a car blowing its intercooler and i have been in performance car game and mates also for 10 years.thats a first .have you got any pics ?

EdsterJ likes this.
  3. Never heard of anything like that either, pics would be interesting

EdsterJ and Mikey4410 like this.
  4. No pics unfortunately and it's in the garage this morning.
    I did have a look while it was over the pit and it was the plastic bit on the sides which had failed.
    I can take some photos when I go and pick it up if you really want to see it.

5. Probably more likely to be down to the ‘generic map’ overboosting or something similar, mates focus Rs did the same thing on a cheap remap and blew the plastic inlet manifold to pieces, which in turn took out the bonnet and rad, cost him nearly £1500 to put it back to rights then a further £450 for a proper map!

EdsterJ likes this.
  6. They used to blow like that on the 5 gt turbo when cranking the boost up. The plastic end caps would fail.

People would put big jubilee clips around them ha ha! [emoji85].

This sort of thing only usually happens when the part is pushed a fair amount beyond what is expected of it.

ting_tong and EdsterJ like this.
  7. This was my thoughts. I ran a bluefin on my previous car with no adverse effects, not to my knowledge anyway, but, I never really did any research.
    I've since read that they're not the best maps and tend to run lean to the point of knocking. It's got me a little worried!
    I'll be honest though, I've not been overly impressed with the map. It has some initial lag then crazy mid range boost and then falls off rapidly at the top. I'm wondering if the drop could have been the intercooler though.
    I'm going to see if there's any difference with the new cooler. If not then I'll take it back to standard.

8. My mate had one years ago, stripped out. Back end would lift whenever he would brake too sharply.
    Hilarious to watch but terrifying when you were in there!

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not really an uncommon occurrence tbf, Especially on OEM coolers with plastic end tanks.

Cant say ive heard of any Meganes doing it mind you, If its gone its a good time to upgrade to a larger FMIC and help get those IAT's down. Id also suggest having the car ran up on a RR to check the map, The Bluefin files were notorious for running lean and overboosting on the Meganes, Not to mention being down on power and torque compared to the other options for calibrations on them

10. I went to RS tuning and had mine mapped shortly after buying it. Paul was struggling to make decent power but wasn't sure what was up. He said it drove fine though after the map. Anyhows after a steady 1hr drive home I gave it a bit of boost and there was a loud noise and then no boost whats so ever, car was flat as fart.

Next morning I was back at RST and after Paul initially scarring me saying he wondered if the turbo had let go they then did a smoke test and it was apparent the intercooler was leaking. On further inspection they found the plastic end had blown off but each end was held on by cable ties so someone had obviously been up to no good previously! He'd never seen anything like it, obviously the cable ties was a surprise but he also didn't say the standard cooler blows its ends off regularly.

yRO2t8A.jpg

Leigh likes this.
  11. And I thought jubilee clips round the cooler was bad

Mikey4410 likes this.
  12. my car came with a bluefin map, removing the map and putting a decent map on the car was the best thing I have done.

13. sen

sen

What would you use to keep the pipes on if the clips had snapped?

14. Not sure I’m with you?

Using a jubilee clip as a hose clamp is more than acceptable.

Using a jubilee clip to stop the intercooler exploding, is a something else.

Just to clarify, I’ve seen intercoolers with stonking great jubilee clips going around the WHOLE intercooler. With the aim of stopping the plastic end caps from departing.

sen likes this.
  15. sen

sen

Yeah I read it wrong. Was gonna say, I’m gonna have to use some on mine. Changed intercooler and bloody pipe came off when I’d put it back together and gone for a test drive :worried: