250 Black door handles

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Charlie Howard, May 28, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Do they make black door handles for the RS? If so has anyone got a part number?

2. Spray them :tongueout:

3. I got mine sprayed mate, along with the exhaust trim. Handles gloss, trim satin

*Shit pic alert

IMG_1713.JPG

4. Charlie Howard

That was my next option, already got the paint laying around. Are they a pain to remove? And did you sand them down first?

5. Charlie Howard

They look really good though mate.

6. Not too bad,

I made a tool to remove, easy once you have the nack

7. Dead easy to do this. I've had them on and off a bunch of times now. Once you've released that latch (pull it towards you, you can do it with a screwdriver or just bend a metal coat hanger into a small L), just prise off the barrel covers, then yank the handle backwards into the gap then rotate the handle outwards to remove. You then see small screw on the handle back, remove that and the cover comes off.

8. Charlie Howard

I've has a look because I'm planning on doing this tomorrow but I can't see that hole, are the 250's the same as the Scenic?

9. Open the door and on the back of the door between the door lock and outer door skin is a rubber weather strip held on with press studs. It runs round the back side of the door and under the length of the door. Look behind that strip in line with the outer handle...easy!

10. Charlie Howard

Blindo over here! Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Can I drive it without handles on lol while I wait for them to dry?

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

How are you gonna open the doors without handles :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

12. Charlie Howard

That's what I'm asking! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Can you take off the silver part and just use a bare handle?

13. In a word, yes.

14. Charlie Howard

Just had a go but can't for the life of my get it off. There's a lot going on through that little hole so I'm not even sure if I'm pulling on the right part.

15. So you have at least found the hole? If you shine a light into the hole, you can see a gold/copper coloured square catch in the black plastic surround. Get a metal coat hanger, bend the end straight and make a small 90 deg bend at the tip, around 5mm long. Feed that through the hole with the bend/hook facing down to the floor and put it so it 'catches' on the copper/gold catch when you try to pull it back out. Now gently keep doing that, hooking, pulling...it will release/come loose towards you. It won't come off and you can't break it. You'll know when it's loose/released and you can wiggle the barrel from the outside and remove it.

16. Charlie Howard

Don't have any metal coat hangers lol! I couldn't see any copper/gold catch only something silver so I aimed for that with my screwdriver but I could not make it budge.

17. Aye, might be silver but it's the only thing in there that is. It's like a letter U, so you need to put something in to the edge closest to you from the top down to give some leverage to pull it towards you. I can do it with a screwdriver now!

18. Charlie Howard

Might give it another go on the weekend. Or tape the test of the car off and just paint it on there!

19. You wont do it with screwdriver you need a hook of some sorts

20. This is what you need

Attached Files:

21. You don't though...I did it easily with a coat hanger and now can 100% do it with a small but long flat head. Charlie if you fancy a drive to Surrey, I'll do it for you, piece of piss.

22. Maybe for you, mine was quite stiff. And too far in to get a grip with a screwdriver.

23. Charlie Howard

Hmm I'll give it one more go and let you know! Thanks Mark!

24. 49D5D437-B71A-4865-9893-1E7610EBBAE5.jpeg This is what your trying to pull on

25. Charlie Howard

Hard to know where that is inside though as nothing looks similar to that

26. Its easier with a hook type tool facing up and you will feel the ledge of it.

27. :smiley:

tof73 likes this.
  28. Charlie Howard

Ordered some of them tools for the weekend, will give it a go!

29. I bought me some second hand handles to paint off ebay, one came with the the inside bit, so i could physically see the mechanism, it is fiddly.

30. Charlie Howard

I've got the tools and I've tried pulling on the bit but it just slips out, I'm not sure I'm doing it right though. The hook is faced upward is this right?

31. Yeh upward, it is abit of a ballache, especially if they havent been moved in awhile, with the hook facing up, angle the tool upwards rather than horizontal.

32. @Mikeyjp have you still got them handles?

33. Charlie Howard

Finally got it! I was doing it wrong, first, you need to angle whatever you're using as a hook down, not up! I found it worked best if I first push the black plastic in front of the metal downwards too. Then hook the metal with the hook facing down and pull. It came out very easily!

34. Charlie Howard

Mine has keyless entry so it has a cable attaching the handle to the door, there's a screw on the back of the handle which I assume you can disconnect the cable if you take it apart.

35. Yeh, take screw out, and the handle should Unclip with a lil help, and the sensor will be on the end of the cable.

36. Yeah, at my parents though :tongueout:, looks all sorted now :smile:

37. No worries, was going to ask to get a picture up of what to look for.

38. Charlie Howard