Bit of guidance please?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andymegane225, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. My new megane 225 seems to love setting off the airbag warning light. Every time I go over a pot hole/speed bump in the road it comes on then goes off after driving on a flat surface for a few miles. Has anyone else had this happen to them?? Is is a loose connection somewhere or is there an airbag sensor in the engine bay which could be loose??

I have also noticed today that I don't have an aerial on the car. Are these cheap and easy to fit??

2. This might be applicable but unsure. Im my old clio i had a dodgy connection under one of the seats that would set the airbag off occasionally.
    Is this no aerial as in the antenna or the base too?

3. I know the clios have a if under the seats which a wire can break bringing the light on dno about meganes but u might have a plug that's not a right good connection

4. The whole thing is missing. I think that the police had there own aerial thing in its place and obviously removed it when they got rid of the car.

5. If the wiring is there it shouldn't be too bad a job just get one from a scrappy couple of pence

6. The wiring is missing. Looks like I will have to rewire a new aerial lead from the roof all the way to the back of the radio. Has anyone done this or is there a guide anywhere that I can follow??

7. If you do this please, for the love of good make a guide! The radio reception on both my R26's has been utterly crap and I'd love to our a decent aerial/cable in!!!!!

8. put your hand under the back of the passengers seat when your sat in drivers seat, you should feel a wire for the air bag see if its popped out of its guide my lads did this but its been fine after i put it back on its clip :smile:

9. My airbag light came on yesterday after hoovering the car out , put hand under drivers seat and jiggled the wire it went out so today I'am having a proper look , sounds like you've got a loose connection there too
    As for the ariel wasn't yours the ex police car , maybe something they did to fit there stuff .

10. If it's the connector that is loose just pop a tie wrap around it and the light won't come on again. I've had it happen on both my Megs, 2 minute fix.

11. Thank you for all the advice. I will check under the seats and check out all of the wiring.

I think that I may have fell lucky, I seem to have found a wire with a connector on the end which is near where the aerial should be. I am hoping that it is the aerial lead.

Thankfully I got the car cheap so all of the cosmetic work I need to do on it wont cost the earth. I just wish the dealer would have been a bit more honest with my wife who we bought the car from.

12. Damn this airbag warning light. It wont go out. I have checked the connectors that I can see from underneath the seats and also wiggled the wires and the light wont go out.

13. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Are these the correct connectors that I have photographed under the seats or have I missed something?????

14. Yes, these are airbag connectors what R U looking for. Disconnect it, some sandpaper and electrical spray should be used. After the connection it's working.
    If not, you need a diagnostic!

15. Right, done what has been suggested on here but it does not appear to have worked. I have been reading on the internet about something in the steering wheel area also being a reason for the airbag warning light to come on??

Looks like I will have to give the dealer a chance to rectify the problem (although all they seem to want to do is disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 20 minutes.

16. Push the connections together then put a cable tie on the wiring as close to the connector as possible, do this then start the car see if it goes off. If not do the other side, if it's still on then it's the rotary switch inside the steering column, £160ish to replace!

17. Without sounding stupid, have you got a pic of the ideal place to put the cable tie on the connectors???

18. Sorry no pics. Pull everything out from the cubby hole it sits in as far as you can (not very much for me!) and you want the cable tie on the wiring on the underside of the connectors, but as close to the connector as you can. Sorry if not explained very well but it worked for me for 6-7 months before the light came back on but it was the rotary switch was the problem then.