Big Uno's R26 Project / Engine Build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Big Uno, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Just double checked them, fit perfectly, internal diameter is as OE, outer is slightly less although not a issue.
    For everyones reference the photo below is a Renault made stem seal and retainer.

I just went for the valves from supertech, will stick with the old retainers and collets, not lifting the rev limit and I dont think the spring rate is massively higher than the OE either so thay should be fine.

20171212_223527.jpg

2. I am sure that the exhaust valves need supertec collets, oem ones don't fit

3. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Will check that in the morning, if they are needed they are needed.

4. Might be because i have the 250 ones

Big Uno likes this.
  5. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Maybe so, just checked the exhaust as you made me curious :sweatsmile: visually equal slot on the stem for collets, only difference is the length from the valve seating face to the slot.

Made sure the collets fitted and built one up with the retainer, then the same again with a OE valve, exactly same as far as I can feel / see. Both have same gap on one side of collet with the other touching anyway.

Will check inlets tomorrow too!

6. Ahh that good then, must just be the 250/265 F4r 874 engines then :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  7. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Yeah must be, hopefully this info helps somebody out :grinning:

Should have the head finished and built up in early Jan all going well!

ianplymouth likes this.
  8. I hope mine is going to be ready for collection this week or early next week.
    need something to do over the Christmas/new year break :laughing::laughing:

9. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I was thinking the same :tearsofjoy: was hoping to get the head built over Christmas but there are too many things I need plus the valve cutting and skim. Looks like Ill just be painting bolts trying do find something to do :tearsofjoy:

Speaking of which - does anybody have any stock camshaft pulleys for sale?

10. Looking good mate :sunglasses:

Regarding the gasket, phone up Renault Wolverhampton (01902 251231) and ask for Dave. He will send you one out in the post. Great discount too if you mention your a forum member :smile:

Big Uno likes this.
  11. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks mate will do in the future!

Been preparing my camshafts today, these are the pair that came out of the stock engine, the lobes are in excellent condition however there was quite alot of minor scoring in the journals so I decided these needed to be polished out.

Cleaned them in the usual fashion by hand, took longer than I thought as there was alot of hardened oil. My dodgy concoction of carb cleaner and degreaser mixed with a ass load of scrubbing finally lifted most of it.

Took a photo of before and after polishing one of the jounal faces. Cant get the deeper scores out as it would mean taking the OD down too far.

20171213_145547.jpg

20171213_151826.jpg

And the pair finished!

20171213_153927.jpg

Trophyboy likes this.
  12. Hi matey
    I have 4 gaskets, how many do you want ???, i am not going to use any of them as i have got some for the 250 in a gasket set i bought, PM me your address

13. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks mate PM sent!

14. I'll post in the morning for you, i have put two in for you.

Big Uno likes this.
  15. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Much appreciated, let me know if you need anything in the future!

ianplymouth likes this.
  16. No problem Karl, sure we will meet up in the future :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  17. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Sure we could sort a track day!

ianplymouth likes this.
  18. Those cams look ace Karl
    How did you clean them up? Mine desperatey need doing before going back in

Big Uno likes this.
  19. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Cheers mate, I only used degreaser and carb cleaner, copper wire brush and a brillo pad, took hours to get the oil off, was one of those jobs where you almost instanly regret starting it :tearsofjoy: was contemplating using a cleaning acid but I am not sure what steel the cams are made from or any surface platings, treatments etc, so dedided on elbow grease only. Even if the material looks the same after acid cleaning it could have weakened the surface and with cam lobes that could be fatal :sweatsmile:

As for the bearing surfaces I took a long strip of sand paper (600 or 800 think is what I used) and pull it around something round to wear it out evenly (dont use a old spray can like me) Once it is worn down and the rough abrasives are mostly off the paper, I then used worn paper with the same motion on the journals to polish them (wrap it around one side and pull left to right like a manual saw chain) quite important you keep it moving and dont work on one area only as it will wear it down very slightly, also best to use a thin oil. Can take photos to explain better its one of them thats easier to show :smile:

20. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Finally got the head back and time to get cracking again on the engine!

So its back from having the valve seats re-cut to suit the supertech valves, and also a surface skim on the lower face. Shes now ready to be reassembled so I should have lots to post up over the next few days! If there is anything anybody wants to see just let me know!

20180115_102430.jpg

21. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Got the valves lapped in and the stem seals seated! And then onto the dreaded assembly.

There are plenty of how to videos out there on valve lapping for anybody who doesnt know but is interested.

20180115_164420.jpg

20180115_164519.jpg

JamesBryan likes this.
  22. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

After much cursing but surprisingly not hunting around the floor for collets that flew off, the head is now ready to go back onto the block!

Quick list of all I have done to the head for anybody that has not beed following;

Pot polish and volume check,
    Intake side knife-edged and cast / machining flaws removed,
    Exhast side cast / machining flaws removed,
    Refaced mating surfaces,
    Machined deck face,
    Recut valve seats,
    Catcams springs,
    Supertech valves with inconel exhaust.

List doesnt seem that long but it has been alot of work, unfortunately alomost all of it will be hidden away once it is installed!

Still have one or two more jobs to do on the head, and now waiting for the stud kit to arrive and I will be getting on with the next install!

20180115_165246.jpg

20180115_165321.jpg

20180115_165400.jpg

20180115_165422.jpg

Filo, JamesBryan, ianplymouth and 2 others like this.
  23. Nice work mate, good job i got someone else to do it while they are doing the repair to the chamber, that's if i get it back :angry:

Big Uno likes this.
  24. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks Ian! Sure it will be sorted soon! These last few posts must have been a tease for you :tearsofjoy:

25. Yes, but i have a car to put my engine in :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

26. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Ah so may I very shortly :tongueclosed:

27. That would be good, be a shame to just look at it sat on your workshop floor, or on your bedside table :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big Uno likes this.
  28. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Still... it is cheaper that way :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

29. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Just been doing some final checks on the head making sure there is no swarf or debris anywhere, just waiting on a parcel to arrive now for the head studs!

Got the head painted also, all the lower parts in gloss black to match the block, upper in graphite to match the top cover, had to check to see how it will all look so took photos of it all together.
    I am that sad I even took the time to alternate the cover bolt head colours :tearsofjoy:

20180116_105157.jpg

20180116_105005.jpg

20180116_105048.jpg

Gray and JamesBryan like this.
  30. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

My parcel arrived with almost everything I needed to get going again, went with ARP head studs, checked the thread fit / feel dry and was not happy so decided to re-tap the threads again, not ideal with the bottom end built but needed to be done, managed to clear out anything that was hanging the studs up and fitted them! Much messing around later cleaning and triple checking bores for any dust or whatever that could of landed in, I was happy and ready to continue!

20180116_200105.jpg

Head gasket on, gone with Renault part as I know it to be decent at least, in stock height.

20180116_200210.jpg

Head on and torqued down to ARP spec, going to leave them sitting for a few hours and re-check torques. Boy am I happy to see that back on top!! :smiley:

20180116_200337.jpg

20180116_200255.jpg

JamesBryan and ianplymouth like this.
  31. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

:sweatsmile::innocent: I am sorry Ian, but I seem to have overtaken you!
    Dont worry I will be stuck waiting quite a while for the next big installation :wink:

32. I am not upset, Much :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I am not going to rush mine, but i do have some wheels to fit my engine in :sunglasses:

Looking good though, i could have painted mine now if i knew how long my head was going to take.

Big Uno likes this.
  33. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I am looking forward to seeing your build :smiley: if you start painting you will probably get a call saying its ready!

34. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Going to tackle the cams, lifters and rockers tomorrow getting a bit late now, but thought I might install the waterpump that arrived today that I did the usual paint job on earlier, also a new thermostat that opens at a lower temperature, so going to install that tonight in the housing!
    Also fitted spark plugs to seal the cylinders.

20180116_213921.jpg

35. Coming along nicely this!

Big Uno likes this.
  36. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Cheers mate!! Plenty more to come soon hopefully!

JamesBryan likes this.
  37. Doing the work in the house ? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Top work once more [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

38. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Much of it yes! And my 7 month old lad is the cheif engineer as I am daddy daycare in the week! :tearsofjoy:
    Thanks mate!

Jonny157 likes this.
  39. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Cracked on this morning nicely, finished prepping my rockers and lifters, removed any air that has gathered in the lifters and made sure the oil inside is clean. All are moving smoothly as they should!

20180117_132642.jpg

Got the lifters and rockers fitted, lubed the journals and dropped my cams in.
    Oiled the cam lobes and added the sealant for the rocker cover, using Reinzoplast from Victor Reinz, awesome colour to the stuff not that it matters.

20180117_132755.jpg

20180117_132845.jpg

Lubed the journals on the rocker cover and torqued it down, along with the final cover for the condensor. Chucked the cam pulleys on just for effect wanted to see how it all looks!

20180117_132917.jpg

20180117_132949.jpg

20180117_133205.jpg

JamesBryan likes this.