Big Uno's R26 Project / Engine Build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Big Uno, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Finding people you trust/want to do business with these days is f**king hard work. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Have a beer & try to chill out. I know it's difficult as I have verged on a heart attack dealing with some w**kers.

Big Uno likes this.
  2. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks fellas, just want it finished now, nothing worse than going backwards. Just hope they read it and have a think :sunglasses:

3. so why are you using Ktec then, i have had really great service from Nick at Pure Motorsport in Cornwall he pulled out the stops to get my new valves for me from the USA in less than a week, top guy :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  4. I hope they sort something for you really quickly (but i really doubt it) i am going through this as well with you :laughing::laughing::laughing:

As i said, buy from elsewhere and get a refund and be done with them.

See you tomorrow :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  5. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

You are right mate and sorry if you get the bad end of it sometimes! I am now trying to get a refund :tearsofjoy: thats not straightforward either :tearsofjoy:
    Would rather just have the pump and car running :smile:

Bring a box for your new goodies :smile:

6. Its no problem mate, i am on your side you know that, you know the shite i have been through with another company, i will try and help wherever i can you know that.

Do i need a really big box :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big Uno likes this.
  7. Who's the other company?

8. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Yes I do unfortunately.

Yeah bring a big box :sunglasses::tearsofjoy:

ianplymouth likes this.
  9. I have spoken and dealt with you many a time now and i know your a resonable and calm person. The above is pretty dam appalling to hear as a consumer,and the levels of stress and worry when building cars/engines whilst dealing with the above tosh is pretty shocking and not needed. I hope ure ok dude and your cars not damaged because of any of the above.

Regards mikey

ianplymouth, Big Uno and Si271 like this.
  10. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks mate, but everyone has bad days! There is enough on peoples plates usually without needing this extra hasstle. This is our hobby and is meant to be fun... not stress caused by companies balls ups. Everyone makes mistakes thats not what Im angry with, more the way its being dealt with (or not dealt with lol) its very poor business manner.

The worst possible case is that cavitation can cause AFR to lean out, but fortunately I am still running in and havnt driven the car enough really to find out. And off boost completely of course.

T&biskits likes this.
  11. Its how a company deals with a problem that sorts them out from the rest, yes we all have bad days but its how you deal with it.

I have just done some work on a customers boat, there's a part that they say was working before and isn't now (been damaged) so to keep them happy i have bought a new unit (£300) and replaced it FOC, i would have chosen not too but it keeps them my customer.

Big Uno likes this.
  12. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Exactly Ian, thats customer service... the next time you work for them it will probably cover your loss this time anyway... and from there on you are on a winner.

May call pure motorsport tomorrow see if he can sort a new 044 out. I agree he is a decent guy.

ianplymouth likes this.

13. I picked up my new valves from him one evening last week, spoke to him for a while and was very knowledgeable guy, if i remember correctly he did a group buy on 630 injectors a couple of years ago for the forum.

Cant praise him enough for sorting my valves really quick.

Big Uno likes this.
  14. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

He supplied all the parts for my box rebuild and the driveshafts, couldnt fault him either, decent guy to talk to, and definitely knows his stuff.

15. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Just wanted to also apologise for the spelling errors throughout the rant after scanning back through :sweatsmile: it was written in a rage :tearsofjoy: I hope it is at least comical, the sarcasm meter is off the scale.

Will keep the situation updated, hopefully tomorrow they will read it (likely as I will send the link to them if needed) and either rectify the problems, or perhaps not.
    Either way the show must go on :sunglasses:

16. I am sorry to hear about the issues mate and the associated stress with trying to sort them out. At least the end is in sight with the build. If you are struggling let me know and I can send down my 044.

Big Uno likes this.
  17. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks mate, and I really appreciate the offer, but I wouldnt want you to be put out by it too.

18. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

So quick update on the downdate...

Just had a call to say they are now happy to supply a new pump, and shipped directly to me from the supplyer, at a cost of £102 + the dreaded which will be refunded to me when the warrenty work on the old pump is complete and it has been either repaired or replaced...
    Couple of points during this conversation point out to me they still cant take ownership of their F ups.

I recieved my replacement fuel filter yesterday as mentioned, I did ask for either one without fittings as I will use my own, or one with NPT to -6. What I got was another filter with NPT to 12mm barb? That are already coated in the blue crap and already torqued down :tearsofjoy:
    So after another conversation where I again had to school them on taper threads, explaining how a thread crushes together and is sealed... I was told they use PTFE tape on NPT and have no problems, and that my 567 wont work... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: right...
    I then explained why PTFE tape is a bodge, it may well work but on any chance that the thread is undone in the future you usually end with small pieces of tape everywhere and potentially in your fuel lines, I then explained that 567 is the correct way to seal an NPT for fuel applications, not like I have any aerospace experience is it or that its used on aircraft ect and the reasons why...
    He then said that they have not had problems undoing an NPT and retorquing it, and back to the school of threads we went, you will not have a problem reusing the same fitting over and over because they have crushed together, now when one fitting is torqued down and removed then a new fitting is used (like in my case trying to fit one that I can actually use) the threads no longer match up and it increases the run behind the thread to seal, hence the two jets of fuel pissing from it when I tried to use it.
    He then asked why I cant use the 12mm push fits supplied.... well thats easy, probably something to do with me using -6 hose which has a internal of around 7-8mm... he said your new swirl pot has bigger outlets, yes they are now -6 i.e 7-8mm....
    I had to ask, what size is the OD of the outlets on the swirl pot they usually use (that I should have got) he said 10mm, so again I said really the filter is wrong then isnt it....

Anyway back to the pump issue...
    He said I was undercharged by around £40 originally? Not sure how as I paid for the kit online, and as I mentioned before I had called previous to this to check on the pump type. Which was to be the 044...

I then said, so I will be getting this "deposit" payment back once you have a new pump on warrenty? The reply was yes.

As you would I then said, and in the case it will not be replaced under warrenty I will still be getting the money back as the failure is down to the swirl pot and that is your error?.... had a long pause and no anwser... followed by please give the long card number :tearsofjoy:

Gray likes this.
  19. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Typical K-tec unfortunately... They've always been like this.

Sorry to hear you've had a mess around with them, hopefully it will sooth the agony when the engine is making mega power :smile:

Mikey4410 likes this.
  20. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

First time ive had problems with them, I have paid for the new pump so it will be sorted soon. Undoubtibly I will not be getting the money back as I have a suspicion the pump wont be replaced on warrenty :wink:

In which case out of pure principle I will involve trading standards. The swirl pot was not fit for purpose and has lead to the pump damage. And I will insist on recovering any losses that I legally can. :smile:

21. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Time for a more positive update :smile:

Been busy today making some big changes to my fuel system, been thinking about it quite a lot recently :tearsofjoy:

Anyway I have been a bit unhappy with fuel temperatures on long periods of idle, if the engine is at full operating temperature the fuel is getting up to nearly 40 degrees centigrade, which could be better. The weather has been pretty warm recently with ambients around 25 centigrade, the closer I can keep it to that the better. The car will be used mainly on the road unfortunately :tearsofjoy: so long periods of being sat in traffic etc and the car needs to be capible of every day driving too in my opinion.

Anyway with the original fuel system fuel temperature is not really an issue, as the fuel in the line is direct to the rail and regulated back at the tank. The fuel only travels one way and is used.

On a return system however, the fuel is of course traveling to the rail and any unused is returning back to the swirl pot, potentially the same fuel could be going round tens of times. The 044 seems to naturally get warm, not surprising pulling nearly 15A at 14V, the rest of the temperature rise is caused by heat soak in the engine bay.

The megane 225 fuel lines are pretty much, located in the worst places possible, the only thing that could make it worse infact is if you ran the line up the car attached to the exhaust :tearsofjoy:
    The line travels up behind the turbo only protected by the heat shield, around by the coolant header, and down inbetween the head and inlet manifold.
    None of it is ideal but for now there is only so much I can do to improve it.

So looking at the bay, the main heat absorbers are likely the regulator housing and other alloy fittings, not much I can do about the fittings, but the regulator can be moved to a cooler location, the other issue I see is as it is directly bolted down to the rocker cover it will naturally pull heat from there.

So I have now moved the regulator to the side of the drivers side strut, running line in a similar way to the original. I have retained the pressure gauge for now on the outlet of the rail, so this will give a true rail pressure reading.

I have also added more heat insulator / fire sleeve, in some places it is now actually two layers of sleeve.
    One of the other heat attractors is the stainless braided line, so keeping that covered is also a good way to stop heat soak.

It has definitely made a difference, after a drive and stopping leaving the engine running the fuel stays considerably cooler.

So not really much left to do now, will look at running the rising fuel rate for the regulator, needs an oil change and it is now ready for mapping :smilingimp:
    May also look at a better location for the air filter and turbo blanket shortly too.

20180702_211342.jpg

20180702_212104.jpg

20180702_211347.jpg

20180702_211355.jpg

22. looking good there Karl, not long to go now :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big Uno likes this.
  23. Awesome build! Thoroughly enjoyed reading about it all happening! What sort of power are you expecting produced?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

24. 325hp :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big Uno and Si271 like this.
  25. with the amount of time and money i would want 800bhp + :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Si271 and Big Uno like this.
  26. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thank you mate! More to come hopefully!! Nothing bad though also hopefully :tearsofjoy:

Well... its hard to say, and probably unwise, I think in excess of 400hp is probably quite easily achievable. We think the cams are the limiting factor so it will be interesting what can be done with stock ones. If I am unhappy or get bored in the future they can be changed :smilingimp:
    I have the 80lb injectors so fueling should not limit me, 95mm Airtec, engine should be happy at that power level, now map sensors to allow up to 2.5bar of boost (thank you very much again - you know who you are!) gearbox....hmmm should be happy for a while :tearsofjoy:

Would love to hear what anyone else thinks or estimates :smile:

Roger, Mikey4410 and Si271 like this.
  27. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Can be done as we have seen :sunglasses:

Si271 likes this.
  28. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Dont jinx me :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

ianplymouth likes this.
  29. Are you still interested in doing engine builds for others? Or have you had enough for a while?!

Big Uno likes this.
  30. Ooohhhhhh yes, i would like to see that thing go :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Big Uno likes this.
  31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Glad your are almost at the end, Shame to hear about Ktec but i cant say i'm that surprised. Have you tried speaking to the boss, David IIRC?

Really keen to see how the G25 works for you, There a Clio running one now instead of a Gen2 GTX and im sure it made just under 500. Ill say 445 for yours lol

Big Uno likes this.
  32. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Id be happy to build another engine for somebody - as long as it wont be better than mine :tearsofjoy: just kidding, would love to.

Could always ask for a test drive while you wait :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

No, cant say I have spoken to him, may be a bit later after emailing the link to this thread to them :tearsofjoy:

And thanks mate, mapping is like waiting for Christmas isnt it! Just hope I dont get coal :tearsofjoy:

And yes there is you are right :grinning: I looked at the dyno runs, if they are credible it mate 476 IIRC? Believe the only fundemental difference between mine and theirs is the cams, and I think that could be fairly accurate :sunglasses:

Si271 likes this.
  33. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

While im on the topic of cooling, have been thinking about bonnet vents, sure I have some mk2 Focus RS vents I had spare kicking about somewhere.

I think its something that can work well and also look good, if its done right anyway :tearsofjoy:

What does everyone think of them on the mk2 megane? Open to any suggestions!

34. They look great on the Focus, can't see why they wouldn't look good on the Meg, as you say, if done properly!

Big Uno likes this.
  35. 450-475bhp i reckon.

Turbo is good for 550bhp after all.

Big Uno likes this.
  36. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I think 550 is definitely a push on a 2litre with my 0.7AR, but your top estimate would be nice :smile:

Si271 likes this.
  37. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Need to see if I can find any other cars with them on, or perhaps another type of vent, the Ford ones are quite nice, fitting would not be so easy :tearsofjoy:

38. Would it be worth spacing the bonnet hinges up a bit too to let more heat out that way uno, or you not a fan of them?

I think it’ll be about 225bhp.........
    per wheel drive :tonguewink:

Big Uno likes this.
  39. Who's mapping it?

40. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Did have them on a previous car, hadnt really given them a thought to be honest thats a good point! If I had a pound for every time somebody said "think you left your bonnet open!?" :tearsofjoy:

I have removed the carpet type stuff that used to sit above the turbo, along the bottom of the scuttle panel, that seems to make a huge difference on letting heat out ... what remains to be seen is does it also make a huge difference on letting water in :tearsofjoy:

Stay tuned all will be revealed within the next week :sunglasses::sunglasses: pun intended.

Si271 likes this.