Big megane 250 crash at nurburgring

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by dru, Sep 20, 2015.

1. I have had an Email from the office at the Nurburgring, it says that due to there being so many accidents on the open days and there being less time on the track due to closures, they have now increased the amount of Track days.

I have done a track day there and it was so so much nicer to drive, about a third of the traffic, no bikes, vans, coaches, 4x4's etc and you get the use of the full straight :cool: no limit on laps, well worth thinking about.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its the same corner, Just from near Aremberg looking back up

3. If they made TDs slightly cheaper id be more then tempted

4. Nothing on bridge 2 gantry or the official site regarding trackdays and less TF, from what I've seen the days aren't usually organised buy the nurburgring but the likes of DN, skylimits, getspeed etc

I'll no doubt do a trackday in the future at the ring but I can't see it having the same amount of character the TF offers.

Yes you'll no doubt get better quality track time, possibility of less accidents (although last time I was spectating back in August there seemed to be quite a few closures on that specific track day), and quicker laps but I can't imagine the vibes being as good.

I quite like the randomness of what pulls up in the car park haha

5. I have just looked back to see what the price is now, there is one in 7 days time and it says price to be confirmed, so they could be lowering the price :rolleyes:

6. In case anyone hasn't seen, the full video has now been posted to bridge to gantry. The driver apparently walked way with a severely broken thumb that may have to be amputated! I drove past 3 minutes after it happened and was convinced that the driver would have been pretty seriously injured. Particularly as so many people do not wear helmets!

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/video-original-unstolen-unedited-megane-roll-over-at-sx/

7. Madness I go on Friday and the amount of people that have tagged me in on this is madness

8. Odinson
    Just do your own thing, don't follow anyone else, don't time yourself and keep looking in your mirrors, it is surprising how quick some of them come up behind you.

And most of all enjoy it.

9. dru

dru

They wasn't wearing helmets either!! Amazing how they survived!!

10. dru

dru

Me too lol!!

11. Me three haha. People said I shouldn't go there and my parents are worried even though I've been there multiple times already.. Sure this is the first time the Megane gets around there, but I'm no hoonigan and respect for the track is without a doubt advisable ^^

12. Not sure why people get worried or other people worry about others going to the nurburgring after watching that video. If you drive like a twat except the consequences

13. Apparently the driver involved only had the car 2 weeks before this incident.. According to someone there on the day in another article. Not a good idea driving the way he was especially on that track if that is the case. Seems wasn't familiar with the car's limits whatsoever.

14. Just had a look on YouTube
    That's some scary shit !

15. If that's true, it's hard to have any sympathy for him. It takes longer to fully understand the car limits than that - even more so when pushing on on a track.

Seeing both angels, it looks pretty good for the strength of the Megane though.

16. Seeing both angels, it looks pretty good for the strength of the Megane though.[/QUOTE]

He nearly was seeing angels!

17. Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  18. Not a nice one!
    Wonder if his insurance covers the ring, and what his bill was from the ring for the closure and recovery......

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  19. dru

dru

If i die, at least it's doing what I love eh lol

20. A spectacular incident no doubt. Everyone can make mistakes, have a moment of madness or a rush of blood that will end in a high percentage of times as a 'near-miss' but the other times this happens. I've no real opinion on it as he only caused himself personal and financial grief. I get a little cheesed when they impact on someone else due to it.

A DA polisher and a little menzerna and it'll buff out.... :rolleyes:

21. And a small rubber mallet to get that dent out of the door! That would bug me!

22. Christ that is scary. Poor guy hope he's ok. Mental how much energy was transferred from the Armco to flip the car away from it. Gotta wonder about some of the driving though. People think they're invincible in sports cars but all it takes is one error and you are fuct.

23. One of the main reasons I bought a Megane was due to its safety rating which is Ncap 5 stars. I think the Audi I have is 2 or 3 which is terrible

24. Is it just me but none of the manufacturers seem to make much of a fuss about ncap ratings these days.

It used be plastered everywhere about a cars safety and ncap ratings, now people seem not to care. Even though they should!

25. I think it's moved on to emissions ?

26. IIRC the Megane coupe didn't even get 5 stars due to the rear seat belt sensors not making a noise when someone is in the seat without the belt on.

27. The current model only gets a 3 star rating by the updated test, though it did get the full 5 stars when it was released in 2008 (the hatch, not sure about the coupe).

28. He's fine, there's a longer video (might be on here) where he gets out the car after about 30 seconds and it walking around. I did read that he lost his thumb in the crash but not sure if this is true.