Best Swivel Bearings to get

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by L-1011, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Was in Worcester, then Cheshire, now Glasgow.

2. Just want to be 100%, I'm going to try my local bearing place for these in the next few days, the INA BK4520A are the correct bottom bearings, and the top ones pictured by L-1011.

Has anyone changed the top ones??

Thanks
    Dave.

3. Mine had zero play or detectable wear at 132k. The pin also showed zero signs of fretting and was like new!

RS 175 Lux

4. Thanks, have ordered the lower one's, the top one's were €50+vat here in Ireland so I'll get my mechanic to check them before i lash out €130.

5. Don't forget the top ones are two sets per side! That is one bearing on top of the other in series!!

RS 175 Lux

6. I didn't realise that, thanks. Let's hope they are ok!

7. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

are the metal inserts available separately

8. Do you mean the chunky threaded block thing that sits inside the bearing? In which case no :worried:

I believe the small ring that taps into this block is though.

9. The bottom section?

That's would be easy to lathe up!!

RS 175 Lux

10. I've recently done one of my lower bearings, and replaced only the main needle part.
    It fitted perfectly into the hub, and upon reassembly it's exactly the same,no more no less.

Also the small ring tapped nicely and securely into the round block so it's not as if it's slapping about in there.

Why is there still looseness? Surely the block can't wear with the bearing because it's held elsewhere at the bottom.
    Any ideas?

11. matt e

If you have a lathe that is

12. Are you offering to machine one up to try?
    Ideally a new hub assembly is required so that a brand new one can be measured and duplicated before fitting.....who's feeling rich?

13. matt e

we could all club in together

14. Of course it's worn! The bearing has play in it so the bearing is going to grind away at it, applying radial loads all the time! Not to mention any corrosion that will have reduced the hard surface material.

Did you measure it before putting it back in?

RS 175 Lux

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  15. Someone send me a spare turret and I'll see what I can do.

Although I'm working in Aero, mechanical have lathes inc CNC although that wouldn't be needed.

We know the OD should be 45mm. I can't remember the height but it's a little over the depth of the bearing. Was it a 24mm bolt (goes back and reads his own guide), but it's centred and easy to drill and thread form on a lathe.

Just need the appropriate 50mm steel bar to start with. Operation would go something like this:

- cut steel bar to +2.5mm length in power saw
    - lathe down OD to 45mm (2.5 mm cut) with appropriate finish (speed and pressure of cut).
    - face off both ends in lathe to give exact length.
    - drill correct size hole and depth into piece using lathe and stationary drill bits in tailstock
    - tap appropriate thread using tailstock and turning piece in chuck/lathe by hand!

Job done. 5 minutes.

RS 175 Lux

16. Yeah I suppose it would wear away at it in that respect. The thing with my bearings isn't that they're even corroded or dry,they're just sloppy. Even with the new needle part in exactly the same way.
    I didn't even think to measure it to be honest, I just wanted it back together.

If I can get it out and measure everything required and send you this info would you knock one up for me to try?
    I can't really send the turret and be without the car for long (I'm working in Italy and the post will take forever haha)

I mean the OD is the most important bit as it would have taken all the wear. The height should be unaffected as its bolted down tight, and then the countersunk bit above where the thread starts must take the small inner ring tightly. Specs for this will be online, I'll check.

17. Certainly although I'll warn you I have 42 days leave coming up so I'll be away from anything useful other than causing trouble on the forums.

Getting the OD of the turret is your first port of call!

I'm going to do another one soon so will measure it up then too! For future reference.

Just to clarify, are you saying your actual bearing is sloppy when fitted around the turret?

I tried mine before fitting into the upright and it was snug. You could invert the two pieces when fitted up and with grease the bearing wouldn't fall off easily.

Are you sure you have the right bearing? Did you use INA ones?

RS 175 Lux

18. How soon is soon?

As the bearing inside is 45mm does the turret need to be exactly 45mm or does it need an element of clearance? I'm not a bearing expert lol
    Come to think of it,when I fitted mine it wasn't perfectly snug,i just assumed it needed slight clearance for grease,expansion etc.
    There lies my problem!

Yes i used quality INA bk4520 bearings also

19. matt e

id be interested in a pair if you can get the measurements

does any body know the size of the lower hub bolts that go in to the bearing?

20. Any upcoming weekend where I've got it free. Although 14wk old son means the wife often has plans for me. Was meant to do it last weekend.

RS 175 Lux

21. matt e

How much do you think a pair of inserts would cost , if you were to make them?

22. just1finn likes this.
  23. I would like to know the same, people do refer them but did any one actually fitted them? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

24. Yes yes yes.

See the first posts! I fitted them and have written about them specifically in the link earlier in this thread!

Having a proper read often saves repetition of the same thing over and over [emoji19]

I am sniffly and grumpy by the way today!

RS 175 Lux

25. I've fitted exactly these ones and they fit the hub perfectly as they should.

However, the turret/threaded insert bit on mine is worn so I cannot comment on the end result.

If yours is fine then you should have no problems,they're a good quality bearing

26. Thanks boys, i did follow this thread from the start but got confused because the bearing number has an A at the end of the par number. Very nice guide on turborenault by the way

27. The "A" means the bearing is a cup bearing. No not Renault cup [emoji38], but a closed end not open. Which is what you need.

Some points worth mentioning. The INA bearing is properly caged, the original Renault one isn't. It relies on the open end which is turned over to hold the needles in place. Once the needles wear they are free to loose location which is why the turret binds with the bearing and the steering gets sticky!

The original has a flat cup where the INA one has a raised part in the centre. That means you have to locate it a bit further into the hub/upright so that the turret sits far enough in!

It worked a treat for me.

Here are some pics of the parts and the respective suppliers:

d1827984f7e8c6dad0ad427c12022639.jpg

37b3d1e59ebcebd4b7d55eb0e92a3391.jpg

5be89cbe9a2b816539abb29392f9e848.jpg

7b14ce123155e47eb7fdcd487925ca91.jpg

I got the seals off eBay. I worked out these are the ones I needed based on the clearance and they were perfect!

8a69ba2d609cb58bd1f934cc8699c708.jpg

5c40e9db67942f166cc445d8874e1531.jpg
    68e4538c27ddd3a5da93853690e0c748.jpg

RS 175 Lux

matt e likes this.
  28. Thanks for the detailed info mate, especially about the seal, will order the parts today, thank u

29. matt e

30. matt e likes this.
  31. Apologies. Just going back to this... What was the verdict on needing the part INA IR40452. Is it necessary to replace? Or even part of the assembly at all?

32. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Can you post that in the guides here mate please rather than posting a link sending people to another forum. It will be just as useful here as it is there.

Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  33. Yep now in Guides under "belated swivel bearing replacement guide"

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  34. Look what I have! a NEW turret to measure up before I install them.
    It is definitely my problem with the sloppy handling, this new one fits SO snugly in the bearing compared to original ones.
    [​IMG]

35. Hi mate where is the turret from?

36. A complete new hub assembly I'm afraid lol

37. I thought so, but hopped for a miracle. U taking measurements of the turret?

38. Right if you don't mind:

-OD of turret.
    - height of turret
    - ID of step for collar at threaded end
    - depth of step at threaded end

Use a micrometer for OD or vernier if needs be. Use vernier for height.