R26 BC Coilovers vs Std Suspension: Feedback

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by papps, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Alright guys - a fair few people asking how the BC's are compared to the STD cup suspension on the R26...

After having them fitted a few weeks back, and managing to get the geometry properly done this week, I've now had a chance to go on a few good drives to see how they stack up...

For those not familiar with my car here is the important details:

Remapped to 255; Airtec IC; Pilot Super Sports (6.2mm front; 7.2mm rear @ 35psi front, 31psi rear); rear seat delete. I've owned the car for more than 12,500miles on the std suspension

The Geometry spec: Ride Height (650mm front; 660mm rear [measured from the ground to centre of wheel arch through centre of wheel]), -2 camber; 0 toe out; dampers (front 10 clicks from soft; rear 8 clicks from soft) - this set up will be a little more bias to understeer.....

The hunting grounds..........

A mix of the best drivers roads the scottish borders has to offer, a 33 mile long main trunk road with faster sweeping bends.....

Screenshot_2015-07-10-21-29-41_zpsgsgieajb.png

A 34 mile long narrow undulating, contoured road through the valleys with changeable surfaces........

[​IMG]

On the first wider section of the route the car did perform brilliantly, the mid bend grip is on a totally different level to what it was before, and the lack of body roll really inspires confidence: I was expecting the car to perform very well on this wider road, and it didn't dissappoint, the rear end is much more planted with the Geo I have compared to the std cup suspension, where I felt the car would break at the rear on the limit, which it has done a couple of times lol

The 2nd road, the more narrow of the 2 was where I was unsure on how the car would perform, its a road that in places, has clio 182 written all over it....

Screenshot_2015-07-10-21-34-25_zpsxorqkefk.png

however, this is where the car started to really shine, the really tight chicane sections have a different meaning of fun vs the std cup set up, you really can throw the car into the direction changes much quicker and with more vigor........The crests and bumps on this road were not a lot of fun in the Std Cup set up, the car used to get air on a few of them, and it was more a case of riding out that section rather than being able to push it there....not the case anymore with the BCs, the extra stiffness made the car glued to the road, and only got air 2 or 3 times.....

The car now feels like it could handle a hell of a lot more power now, I mean a lot more.

The drawbacks: The one major drawback is that the limit of the car has been massively increased, it was a lot easier to reach the cornering limits of the std suspension than with the BCs, so you'll have to gauge how thats going to affect the pleasure of your own drives as it will be a lot harder to reach the limits on the road......

The ride at slower speeds in built up areas is a good deal worse than the Std set-up, again to be expected, but it is noticeably worse, I find myself really avoiding drain covers etc. The ride on the drivers roads however, is spot on...nothing like Steve Sutcliff driving the new Civic Type R on the track where his head almost goes through the roof at points.......on the motorway or longer drives I would say its 20-30% harsher, if you are fine with long journeys on the std set up I doubt this will make these too uncomfortable...

Speeds bumps are fine, just be careful on the Ambulance/Bus Friendly ones, you can catch the splitter, some of them are best negotiated by putting you wheels over the highest part of them...

Overall: Do I regret it? Not at all.....the car was on 75k and I wanted a suspension refresh and to uprate at the same time, and this killed the 2 birds with one stone for £690 from Track Focus Direct.

One thing is for sure, I HAVE to get this car on the track now, so I have a session booked next week for 2 hours :wink:

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Papps

Oh and this is how the car sits now...

20150709_174635-1_zps3u6hyjmt.jpg

Big thanks to Steve1, Mark., -Jamie-, Josh28 for all your input and help getting this stuff sorted out - much appreciated.

2. All I'll say is your a jammy barstuard for having those roads, they should be south of you lol, glad your happy with it, a very good honest review, well done mate.

3. Balls.

I feel an "investment" coming on ...

4. Haha cheers mate! :smile:

One thing I forgot to add in the feedback, is that it hasn't changed the 'character' or the 'spirit' of the car, its still a RS megane :wink:

5. Haha :smiley:

Mick supplies and fits them and does the Geo for a set price IIRC he posted on RSUK - could bring the initial outlay down a little

6. Good read. Who did your geo setup?

7. A bit of a pain up here, I used a place 50 miles away from me: they run an MG Race car and are a Caterham/TVR & MG service centre: http://www.dreadnoughtgarage.com/

8. Thanks, a 3 hour drive for me.. Best keep looking!

9. If you are coming up North I would go for http://kbmengineering.co.uk/ in Glasgow -this was recommended by Mark. who has a track prepped 225 with diff etc etc and they done his ASTs set up on his old Clio for him - they even have the tech to do full corner weighting should you want that done..They were my 1st choiuce, but through the main guy being off sick, and then the garage holidays I would of needed to wait a month for a slot, and I'm impatient lol

That should be a do-able drive for you mate!

10. No prob glad your liking... I can only give ontrack experience of them as car isn't on the road so never been on the bumpy narrow stuff.. I imagine my 8kg springs and 9 clicks from hard would be horrendous haha..

11. Much closer, thanks Papps!

12. Glad your enjoy it now and the car sits perfectly.

Looking forward to getting next to it on track sooner rather than later.

13. They're the guys with the supercharged ZT260.

Where are you? I'm just south of Glasgow (Busby).

I think this setup will be slightly too hard for me and my level of commuting but I'm desperate to switch to fresh cup springs and dampers. My Sport Lux dCi has 121k on it now

14. I've got the same set up Papps, i agree with all of that. its great on track now as well

15. Yeah that will be sweet! - it will take you no time to be in my mirror lol

16. I'm just on the west side of the Edin outskirts - South Queensferry Mr Tristar....

Yeah I think with the age of the Mk2 megs now (not just mileage) Loads of people are thinking about dampers now - it wasn't an easy decision to take these over the other options, I was weighing up Eibach Pro Springs and OEM shocks, or Cooksports and OEM Shocks - but decided to take the risk given how close the ££ of each of the options were....

17. Great to hear they preform well on track :smile:, especially from a man who used to have a lightweight meg on a different set-up, and now has another lightweight meg with these on :wink: haha

18. Do you stiffen up the dampers for your track sessions?

19. Yes mate, i've set them at 8 from soft at the front and 5 from soft at rear for the road, i had the 18 from soft front at Oulton and 15 rear, worked really well. decent set up for what it costs, just want to sort out a decent 330mm brake set up, the cazan 330 discs will be toast after another 2 or 3 trackdays. 14th september Anglesey, get it booked :cool:

20. I would stay away from any of the Chinese/Taiwanese made crap , BC, Meister,Megan racing, ISC stick to the german brands of you don't want any issues!

21. I'm also so the 14th Anglesey track day, get it booked mate , see you their

22. I know SQ. Wife is from Linlithgow. Did NYE at Orocco Pier a few years ago. Good views!

I'm definitely after fresh cup stuff. Trouble is it's different to the petrol. Every time I ask at a Renault dealer, they just quote me standard Sport parts despite asking for "CUP CHASSIS OPTION". I'll have to find someone on here with a factory Cup dCi and quote their reg number!
    5b1ad5a29600e59fb8c178f27b07a520.jpg

23. Guys at driftworks rate them, as does simon at cornering force.

A set of nitrons would be great but spending upwards of two grand for a car that driven on the road and a handful of trackdays???

Big of an overkill, there an improvement over standard and offer a nice range of adjustment.

Nice one papps, I've been running mine a while now and on track too running similar geo to yourself and compared to my first trackday when the car was standard it's night and day i am however upping my spring rates ASAP

24. Are they available for the Mk3?

25. Not at the moment mate:

Plenty of different options for the MK3, Nitron, KW, H&R, Bilsten ec though! :smile:

26. Only two of those have camber plates though and they cost a fair share of money!

27. Yeah :worried: - the BC's offer a hell of a lot of value for money - time will tell how well they are made though

28. Won't come close to Nitrons or KWs but for what you pay I bet they're good!

29. BC are highly rated withe the jap/drift scene and that lot Prob say the same with kw's on there cars..
    Just depends what you have to what's the best.. I do like my BCs and race them and glad that the £1200 I saved from the other brands has been used on other bits of car..
    I had kw v3 on my audi s2 and had the feeling part of the £1700 was on them being bling haha

30. Also they're only offering the BR series atm which is there bottom model
    if they were to offer the RM or ER they would be up there with the ast and all

31. NJH

NJH

Don't forget that KW are twin tube (like most standard car shocks) but with their bypass valve to give a smoother ride. The others often mentioned are usually monotube dampers and technically superior. Personally I think KW V3 are well over rated, I know two guys who raced on them and neither are/were quick. They were very popular about 10 years ago with those wanting a setup for weeks away at the ring but with outfits like AST offering a proper monotube race damper for similar money why on earth bother.

32. Finally got time to read this properly man, sounds awesome - deffo going to invest in some of these at some point as i plan to do more and more track days so this sounds like a great setup to invest in!

Car looks awesome!

33. Holy thread resurrection batman..

How have people got on with their bc's?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

34. On my mk2, loved them great value for the money, was just my track car and not my daily, they are better on the mk3 a lot better ride, i'm sure they would be okay as a daily

charlie1984 likes this.
  35. Did you have the br series ones?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

36. Yes the BR ones, never had them setup properly either, i have on the mk3

37. and how do you find it on Megane?

38. I find them better on the mk3 than on the mk2 even though they are higher spring rates, 8/8 on the mk2 and 10/8 on the mk3, no where as crashy

39. I order for me 10-7 springs but don't fit it yet. But as I see lots of mk3does at England use Bc suspension

40. I had 10kg fronts and 8kg rears, 3 degrees camber on the front 1.5 on the rear transformed the car on track