250 Battery relocation to boot

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Charlie Howard, May 13, 2020.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Going to be moving the battery to the boot on Sunday to give me room to fit a catch can. I've got everything but wondered how others went about it.

Do you just drill straight through the plastic boot floor and floor of the car and bolt in the tray or do you remove the plastic floor and just drill through that?
    And where do you feed the positive cable through the firewall?

2. Not done this mod on my mk3 and don't think i will either, as i need the space to put the 4th wheel.

The mk2 and 3 are basically the same, behind the battery and airbox on the bulkhead there is a big rubber grommet there, carefully push a screwdriver through with a wire attached, you would be better removing the glove box, this will give you better access.
    then run the wires down the passenger door sill into the boot area.

Bob Thompson likes this.
  3. I’m looking at doing the same modification on my R26, and build a full aluminium or fibreglass airbox to house an ITG cone filter where the battery lives. Getting rid of the space saver spare and using that well for the battery, Jack and a can of tyre weld in a nicely spaced out housing. The wheel well Is nice and low for the weight to sit at.

You have to let me know how you get on. I’ve looked at the battery relocation kits, seem a bit steep for what they are - but I guess you get what you pay for.

I wonder how many have done this mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tex

Tex

Following, could be interested in this

5. As Ian said, but I ran the plus cable only, and used a short earth, to the rear panel, where there is already an earth point, then placed Battery in a box. While you are at it, its very easy to fit a cut off switch at the same time.

6. Tex

Tex

Where is the existing earth point in the boot? Which battery box did you use (bought one or built one?)

7. Charlie Howard

I will say it's not as easy as everyone say it is though, that grommet seems to have something inside it to stop you putting more wires through, don't know if it's a multiplug or something but it's pretty solid, I had to drill a new hole in the firewall and use some silicon to seal it. Then drill the holes for the box/tray in the boot floor which is a weird plastic/fibreglass material and drill a ground hole.

8. Open boot, on your left hand side. on the rear panel,( Not side.) pull trim Back, earth point is there. Battery box from Ebay.Picture will not upload for some reason.

9. Charlie Howard

Here you go
    6UL05CR.jpg
    C88YOzW.jpg
    wkOEL4m.jpg