265 Bad performance

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Superfly, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Hi folks,
    I have a remapped RS265, which has cone filter on it and back silencer straight piped, lately the car has being performing badly, I'm hoping someone has had similar or knows what's going on and how to resolve...
    When driving from standstill or gentle cruise up into high revs I find that the car has a hesitation, as if there is no fuel for a half second, then carries on, think it does it around 5500 RPM +_ It's worse if in Race mode, in short I gen bounce the limiter in 3rd gear in normal mode prior to even attempting race mode because the car then doesn't just have a half second drop in fuel or power, it sort of splutters, if I ease of fractionally I can feel it sort itself out and then I'm good to plant my foot again.

NB if I'm on the highway it used to be a case of Normal mode was smooth, and Race mode would splutter quite a lot, now its gotten to the point where normal mode will splutter if I plant my foot.

I'm living in S.A and use 95 fuel, as this is all we get.

Anybody got any ideas?
    I'm leaning towards plugs needing changing, I will be replacing the OEM Filter to see if it's that, however the car performed well prior with Cone on, could it be the cone isn't clean enough?
    I also googled that it could be a dirty 02 sensor making the car run Rich?
    Sorry I'm not so clued up with such things, i'm assuming it's running rich, it could be something else entirely like bad 95 fuel...Perhaps I should add some octane boost to see if that helps?
    Any feedback will be welcome :-)

2. Hello mate,
    My R26 did this for a while, it ended up being a combination of crap fuel and an actuator on its way out. One new actuator later, and using better fuel....... problem solved. Hopefully it'll be this simple for you! Good luck!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. Oh yeh,
    Plus I changed the plugs! [emoji3]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. 95 octane only? I never run my car on 95 unless on a massive motorway journey. I find it dulls the performance so much it makes me sad, ha.

Si271 likes this.
  5. Thanks guys, You talking about the wastegate actuator?

I only dream of 97 fuel :smile:

6. I’m not trying to rub it in, but Shell V-Power, reasonably widely available here in UK is 99. Have to pay for it though.

7. I’d be using 99 if we had it I can add Octane boost or buy race fuel but then fuel doubles in price

8. Bit of googling and the symptoms of a failing fuel pump seem very similar to what I’m experiencing. For now I just changed the fuel filter (behind rear wheel) and added a fuel system cleaner, although I doubt the additive will do anything, we live in hope the fuel injectors sounded good however that’s not to say they are good, I’ll remove plugs and re-gap to 0.6 if they need it. So hopefully that will fix the problem, if not, then looks like I’ll be replacing the fuel pump

9. Hi all, so nothing changed from replacing new fuel filter and fuel system cleaner (although not in long enough to do anything) so next step was to check / change plugs, pulled the plugs and found second plug covered in oil anyway I decided to clean, re-gap and replace. they were gapped at around 0.9mm was a bit hesitant to change to 0.6 so gapped them at 0.75 went for a drive and no more hesitation or spluttering so now I’m assuming rocker cover is leaking, causing the oil leak onto plug, causing misfire under load. However I don’t want to just send it for rocker cover if it’s not the cause Is it possible a bad coil or plug can lead to oil on the plug thread??? I’m thinking I should swop the coil and plug with another and re-check after driving???

10. Why are you ignoring people's advice to gap them 0.6, do you think we are trying to blow your engine up.....

11. Haha Mikey, it’s not that I think 0.6 is not correct, it’s that I’m not sure what was wrong with the car, baby steps, all good things come to those who wait

12. Hi all, long story short, had issue with spluttering on high end ie highways, (on a mapped RS265) checked plugs and found oil on one, the rocker gasket was changed several months ago, was worried it had gone again, anyway I cleaned plugs and re-gapped from stock gap to 0.75, should have just gone straight to 0.6 but wasn’t sure if it was the oil on plug or something else, after a week of driving, re-checked and plugs are clean, now re-gapped to 0.6 thanks Mikeyjp, cabs running strong and smooth