225 Back box chop

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ashr26, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Im thinking about doing the back box chop. I might take the middle section out too.

Has anyone got any videos of these done with the cat still fitted as I just want to see what it sounds like.

Cheers.

2. Where u located? Sure there will be someone who's had the chop in your area! :smile:

3. Im located in lowestoft in east anglia. I doubt anyone has around my way haha.

4. I already have the centre box chop and reckon I need the back box chop also as still to quite for me

5. Where you jealous of my midbox chop Northy? Lol

6. Agree with northy but I have back box chop and still tame! If it's a good sound your after I'd just get a cat back.

7. How on earth can these cars be so quite with only a rear box

8. I have the back box chop and think it is nearly perfect. It needs a few more pops and bangs but think the middle box chop would be to much and you loose the whistle apparently which I love. Can you get a decat with the middle box still in?

9. How loud is it inside? I have a Milltek with centre chop but its so quiet, just worried if I backbox chop it'll be to loud with the baby in the back.

10. I got a full fat 225 5 door and isn't too loud inside. If I fold the seats down its a different story. Open the window in a tunnel and it sounds amazing. I had a fiesta zetec s with no back box and that was unbearable inside. The megane is much nicer.

11. This is mine with back box chop only. I think it pops and bangs enough as it is. If I had a mid-box chop too I think (for me) it would be too much. With a decat I expects it's annoyingly loud.

[video=youtube;YsmNQ_HLxYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmNQ_HLxYo[/video]

12. That 1st video with both cut out was my brothers R26. At first was a bit of fun with the pops but wore thin really quickly. There's no note to it just blowing / fluttering sound, like a banger car. We put the center section back in to keep the whistle. It still popped a little. Just perfect imo.

13. What's an average price for a back box chop?

14. I only paid £65 for mine.

15. I agree ... just sounds like a tractor on idle. I have the back box chop and it's perfect for me ... if I was being picky I'd want more pops and bangs but who doesn't want more of them!?

16. I'm due to get a Megane r26 next week and I had read and planned to get the BB chop as I thought I would sound throatier but Jesus they all sound like tractors. Does anyone have a good video of only a decat fitted? Would you recommend it?

Also its been years since I was out in a Megane and can't remember, do they sound okay as standard? I'm not a boy racer so a quiet but nice sound will do.

17. tbh the sound on the videos dont give it justice cause in person driving mine i think it sounds decent enough especially with the pops. cheap worthwhile mod if you dont have the cash for the full exhuast. they are quite quiet as standard.

18. I'll see how the standard exhaust goes and as you said its a cheap and easy mod if you want to do it.

Fitting a decat I'm guessing brings on the EML light or emissions light like most Renaults, is there a quick fix other than having it mapped out?

19. They're very quiet standard hence why so getting remove the boxes, back box chop produces the lesser sound increase

20. Again, just my opinion, but I think the back box chop doesn’t sound tractor-y in person. I think it just releases enough sound to be purposeful but not overly obtrusive.
    I think that the problem with all 4-pot engines is that they sound a little bit wet-farty when you put less restrictive exhausts in place.

21. Does removing the back box add any performance benefits?

I'd considered doing this on my Trophy as I wanted a louder exhaust note but really can't afford a cat back or custom system.

Would those with a back box chop say the car was still suitable for having a child in the back as I'll have a little passenger in the back of mine at some point.

22. no performance results mate just less restrictive with the sound level. id say its fine for kids in the back its not deafening loud just noticeably loud.

23. Mine is my family car mate so it's no probs! I can give you a demo if you like seeing as you're a local lad like me.

24. Sounds like a plan to me mate. Where did you have it done?

Was thinking of the Powerflow place in Redhill as always had good service from them.

25. I'm in the same boat as above, mines going to be the main family car, but its just way to quiet standard for my liking, just worried I'll have a chop done and it'll be stupid load in the back.

26. Yeah that's my concern and apparently it's not fair for kids to wear ear defenders!! Who knew haha

27. I agree 4 pot engines dont sound the best, but do sound alot better with a quality exhaust over a butchered up factory one.

28. Butchered is a strong word when you're effectively just replacing the back box with a straight through stainless pipe.

Not much different to having just the back box replaced by somewhere like Powerflow.

29. To me thats how it sounds.

30. I’d say butchered is a strong word too. The cat back exhausts with no centre section are no different to a mid-box chop (ignoring the pipe diameter change for a minute) so how is removing a rear box different?
    I had mine done at the same place as the famous ‘Andy Bond jet exhaust’ at RSR Tyres in Bromley by Roy (now STS Tyre pro). He’s done quite a few of them so knows what to do.

31. But all you're having done is the back back replaced with a piece of stainless pipework? No different to having a stainless straight through exhaust from the cat back just applies to the last bit of the system.

Generally speaking a more free flowing exhaust is considered best for a turbo charged vehicle so the less boxes the better. By removing the rear box, it should improve flow.

32. We all have our own opinion on what a decent exhaust sounds like and to me it sounds absolutely crap, no matter who did it or whatever materials were used.
    You have your opinion I have mine.

33. No harm understanding and questioning an opinion either mate, just interesting to hear why people think the way they do.

As you say the sound is entirely subjective and how some people like their car to sound is entirely different to others, I get that.

All my point was more that the exhaust system isn't butchered or a bodge job for having straight through pipes, which was more the impression you were giving.

34. I was referring to the sound not quality of the job. To be honest I dont care what an exhaust looks like, no body ever sees it anyway.

35. Yeah that's very true, although I've heard different things about quality of welds affecting flow but I'm not techy enough to know the differences personally.

36. Nobody has mentioned what the sound is like inside the cars - how often do you stand outside your own car while it drive past!

I have both boxes removed, it sounds a bit tractory from outside especially when the engine is cold, but I couldn't care less because it sounds superb from inside the car and that's where I sit when I'm driving it.

I've considered having one of the boxes put back on, but I think I'd miss the sound too much and I'd be gutted if it quietened right down inside.

If you want it to sound awesome outside the car to people you don't know then fair enough, you're probably better off spending £400-£500 more on a custom system.

37. Agreed. It sounds best on the inside when you drop the rear seats, remove all carpets and foam spare wheel insert. You can hear all the pops and bangs on the overrun then!

38. I must admit I do love a pop and bang from an exhaust.

If just a back box deletion is what it takes to get some nice pops and bangs, I'm sorely tempted.