R26 Back Box Chop

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by 123HJMS, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Hi guys,

Thinking about getting the back box chopped on my R26 to add a bit more sound to the car, can anyone from the midlands recommend somewhere to get it done? I'm based in Coventry.

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking the back box chop will add noise but still keep the turbo whistle and a mid box chop is louder but loses the whistle?

Cheers, Hayden.

2. Correct. Backbox chop is great cheap mod, loved mine and as you say keep the whistle

3. Maybe to far for you but big city tyres in Nottingham did my old one , there a power flow dealer so bending pipes and welding is what they do, if you do go there ask for James or Richard and tell them Steve the roofer sent you mate , he will look after you Im sure I paid £50

Cheers Steve

4. The back box chop will keep the sound of the turbo spool. If you got the center box taken out as well, you would lose the spool noise.

5. Thanks for clearing that up for me chaps, definitely the back box chop I want :smile: Steve thanks for the recommendation but as you say it is a bit to travel but will bare in mind

6. Watched a few vids of different megs with it done mate and the sound is good enough for me. Makes the car sound more purposeful low down but still retains the whistle on boost .. win win

7. It's a cracking mod for the money! Also make sure to recline your rear seats when you have it done! Makes it sound even better!

8. Still haven't got this done! Rang 3 garages in Coventry and all of them said they couldn't do it because the replacement pipe would have to be bent and they don't have the tools to do it grrrr

9. Might be a bit far from you but try MIJ exhausts in Walsall.

10. it is a bit mate, heard good things about them and their custom systems. tbf I'm going to Wednesbury Saturday to visit family so if it's not too far I could get it done then!

11. It's in Wednesbury mate! Im there too on Sat so if you want to hear a back box chop + decat in the flesh give me a shout!

12. Daz

Daz

What about just getting the midbox done instead? they can't argue with a straight pipe!

13. If u were in Scotland I could have sorted U out I have a mid section and backbox chop exhuast in my loft as I got a miltec turbo back

14. want to keep the spool and prefer the sound of a backbox chop mate

15. ahh thanks anyway pal

16. Got mine done a few weeks ago, chuffed with it to be honest. No where near as loud as my previous cars (japs) but the sound suits the megane perfectly. Sounds maaad when it goes of on the limiter. Have has a few times when ive been driving eco for a long time then decide to floor it it lets out a big bang on the gear change. Very nice indeed :smile:

17. Might get mine done as had the centre box chop done but want it abit louder

18. I have stage 1 remap. If I get the back box removed would I lose power?

19. U won't loose any power with a backbox chop

20. Cool, I'm going to get it done in Feb :smile:

21. Get someone else to rev the car when you are testing. I honestly cant think why you would want it any louder. It would be antisocially loud with no boxes and a proper police magnet.

22. Does anyone with a backbox chop think it sounds a bit droany at high RPM on overrun, might just be the way my exhaust is mounted as the person who did the backbox chop is great at bodging ha

23. It isn't that loud. Mine had both boxes removed when I bought it, tbh it sounds a bit farty on tickover but when you put your foot down it sounds awesome, I'm still thinking about getting the back box put back on but I may regret it if I do.

I've got a blanking plate and Ktec induction kit as well so it isn't exactly quiet, but I haven't had any bother at all and at motorway speeds it's only slightly louder than standard, certainly not drone-y at all.

24. finally getting mine done as we speak ... Hopefully it sounds like I thought it would!

25. Have you had someone drive away from you , or past you at WOT ? I find it quite loud with a center box chop tbh.

26. CCR custom chrome racing Nuneaton (behind the railway station )

27. ahhh wish yIu had said before buddy, ahh well just got it done in Cov for £80 and I'm happy with the sound!

28. sorry pal only just saw post , but £80 is a good price anyways and if your happy with it then Jobs a good un :smile:
    had my old car done there 5 - 6yrs ago from what I can remember for back box chop and new tail pipes it was around the £150 mark regards Gray

29. Are you able to post a drive-by and in car video? Pretty please...

30. No, but I don't drive around built up areas on wot so I doubt anyone else hears it from my car either. Don't get me wrong, it isn't quiet but I've never been stopped or had anyone say anything.

I don't think it's the noise that gets people stopped, it's driving like a dick whilst making it!

As I said above though I'm still considering getting the back box put back on. It's going for a remap later this year so I think that would make it a bit too much, it already pops and bangs loads.

31. I will be able to but not today mate, there is a good before/after video of a ly r26 on you tube if you type in megane r26 backbox chop