Anyone driven a Z4m?

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by ghosty0101, Nov 28, 2015.

1. I was looking at other cars that are the same price or near enough as the Meg 265's I've been looking at and the BMW z4m came up. It has the same engine as the e46 m3 and is supposed to be really quick. Another surprise was that the insurance was about the same as my R26! Only things I've read that slightly scare me are tales of understeer followed by sudden uncontrollable oversteer with spirited driving. Has anyone driven or owned one of these and can tell me what they're like?

2. Not driven one, but the Z4MC is a great looking car.

3. I just can't understand why the need for a RWD car nowadays. FWD cars are just as quick and just as much fun but without the worry of losing the bloody thing, especially when your pressing on and it's wet?

4. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Not cheap to run, more expensive than an R26.
    Lovely cars though.

5. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Liam. on CS has one, he loves it.

6. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

He also loves sleeping with transsexuals.

7. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

That is also true LOL

8. A fast RWD feels completely different to a fast FWD.

9. I owned one for about a year.
    Was a great car. Had an E46 M3 as well. Have to say that definitely handled better though. And as you say more controllable and thus confidence inspiring.
    Great engine in both. Wouldn't say it was anymore special than my megane. And on the road the megane will be quicker a lot of the time.

10. I like them and always fancied one.
    As much as I love my Meg and its handling minus the speed my old mk1 MX5 was a far better car handling wise so a good RWD for me all day long

11. Yeah the coupes look wicked. It would just be a weekend car but the £505 tax is a bit steep, the fuel not so much because you actually get something out of it! It would only be my 4th car though and having never driven a RWD car I don't want to get it and bin it a month or two later! And I'd also choose it over an m3 purely because you don't see many about! Where I live it's mainly chavs you see driving like absolute bells everywhere to look cool for their mates! Might go and look at a 265 and Z4m on the same day and compare the two! Insurance quotes surprised me, it was less than I paid for my megane!

12. Let us know how you get on as I was looking into these too. I too have never had a RWD

13. RWD is defo great fun. And helps with the steering feel no end. Especially on proper M cars too.

14. I also own a 3.0 Z4, have driven a couple of Z4Ms, and owned an e46 M3.

Personally, I love BMWs. My next car will undoubtedly be a BMW as they're great all round cars.

The Z4M is a great car, but the E46M does handle far better imo. They are twitchy, not particularly suited for UK roads due to the nature of the high revving engine, stiff chassis, and RWD. On the right day, at the right time they're fantastic fun.

A completely different car to a megane, obviously. Both fantastic drivers cars in their own right. Progress can be made far easier in the megane, and it's just as rewarding.

15. Thanks for that, that kind of echoes what I've heard. My thinking behind it is that I could get a z4mc for megane money and never lose as much over the time I own it. A megane would be a 2 or so year old car and it'll undoubtedly depreciate which is fine. But if I can get a car that's as fun and quick and possibly not lose or even make money whilst driving it it's a win win! I'll have to compare the two side by side and see which one feels better to drive!

16. Exactly, only you can decide what you think is the most fun as it is so subjective. If you've currently got a 225 you're obviously used to boost etc so you may find it's good to have a change and get a revvy n/a RWD.
    The build quality, image, and noise are far superior in the BMW. I completely get where you're coming from in terms of value, however the money you'll save in depreciation, you'll undoubtedly spend on maintenance and general M tax!
    If you're in that price bracket, I'd also consider a Cayman/S.

17. I've often wondered what the Nissan 370Z nismo would be like, RWD V6, it's meant to be quite quick and imo looks good and you don't see so many unlike BM's, tax is a bit steep but hey,,,,,

18. Cayman/Boxter S 987 ph2 with a manual box

19. MBC

MBC

I've driven one! Great car not as good as my R26 though and doesn't feel as fast and isn't as exciting to drive.

20. Go cheaper, 350Z 313 GT. All the RWD action you need. Solid.

21. NJH

NJH

Z4M Coupe is a solid investment though if that is an important factor, I am convinced the earlier suggesting of a 987.2 Cayman/Boxster with the DFI or 2.9 engine will also be a solid long termer both due to the engines but for very different reasons.