250 Anyone changed grade of oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by odinson, Jan 8, 2016.

1. As above. I've been speaking to a few on my pals and a few different tuners that don't deal with Renaults and all have said that they're very surprised at the grade of oil used in the Renaultsport megs and suggest that with the amount of track days etc I do to look in to something such as 10w60 like m3 use? My white forged car seaped oil through the turbo due to it being so thin and after a very reputable turbo builder looked at it and laughed when I said 5w40 in a turbo hot hatch.

So whats the thoughts on this? My cars regularly serviced every 4-6k but surely a thicker oil that's not like water would benefit and engine that's being used on track?

Cheers

2. Yep I bet Renaultsport dont know anything about oil grade, did no testing or research and just guessed a grade.
    You will no doubt get every expert now swearing by 5 grade, down to 0 grade (which lots of Ford RS/ST owners do) and up to 10 grade.They all know better than Renault.
    5 grade isnt too thin, think about cold start up speed of oil circulation
    Use good quality, change regularly with filter, no problems.

3. No need for sarcasm it's a genuine question as the oil is thin compared to most performance cars. Its also like saying renault knew best with suspension and brakes amd wheel weights and seat design. Everything can be improved on.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I haven't seen any Megane running on anything other than the standard grade oil, That includes all the ones that are running more than basic bolt ons and a map as well.

As long as you use a good quality oil and do frequent changes i can't see any reason to swap the grade used.

5. not a mk3 but from memory I remember seeing a thread saying that Paul from rstuning recommended thicker oil for the mk2's that were running 300bhp+

6. I use Millers 10-40w for exactly this reason. My megane is used on track and Millers have a 10-40 for 5-40 cars for this reason.

7. Having never had a car with a dephaser, would a different oil grade effect it?

8. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Paul at RS Tuning recommends 10w60 on higher powered cars.