Any way of improving 2nd to 3rd gear change feel?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Lee Robertson, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Had my heart in my mouth a few times mistakenly getting 1st gear instead of 3rd!:-)it's been like this since i got the car, is there anyway of tightening the feel/direction of the lever route from 2nd to 3rd?
    I feel you really have to think of the shape of the 'H' pattern gearbox and move to the right then forward to get to third, instead of it thinking of going that way slightly on it's own! :-) if you know what i mean? Thanks.

2. this for Nissan Leaf right ?

tof73 likes this.
  3. Yes, but the megane 225 version of the leaf, and i'm glad tof73 likes this, whatever it was.

4. It was Funny...

5. What was funny? The broken English? , find funny this haha, not help, is ok?

6. Mine's the same. It got slightly better after i did the short shift mod, but I think it's just the way they are.

7. common proble,..actuator needs rebuilding..
    especially if its getting stiff,or the lever wont self center.
    If you have a modified linkage shortshift,and a new/refreshed actuator,you will never miss a change again.

8. phil watkins is your man for rebuilt actuators, and shortshifts.

9. Does your gearstick self centre, or is it a bit slow moving when moving to right or left in neutral and then releasing?

This is a common problem, and is easily fixed by removing the selector, popping out the white nylon bushes, and using a dremel or similar with a scourer attachment to remove the aluminium corrosion that builds up inside the mechanism. Then the bushes can be popped back in with a smear of grease, and will feel a million times better. Coupled with a short shift... even more smiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewjeffs likes this.
  10. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

not sure if one of the cables is the same as the DCi 250 setup. but theres an adjustment on one of the cables on our type. i moved it about and found i improved my selection.

May help

coetseejj.rd likes this.
  11. The gearstick has a general stiff feel when you wiggle it back and forward, like when you're checking it's in neutral before strating the car, but it does centre. I've actually changed the way i change gear from 2nd to 3rd and that has helped slightly, just using the palm of my hand cupped around it, instead of grabbing the top of the gearstick, plus ofcourse breaking in the new clutch etc things are improving slowly.
    I'm definetly going for the short shift/bush modification though, i never want to get 1st instead of third ever again, it gets boring! :-)

12. defo bush getting tight.take it out and operate it by hand to see how tight it is.
    it should glide.
    I have known these to get so tight you can barely move them by hand when out the car.
    imagine the strain on the cables!

13. Just fitted the short shift mod today, arrived this morning,fair sized lump of metal when you see it of the car! :-)Wondered what the heavy little box was when i picked it up lol.
    Anyway, couple of little comments about fitting it. In Phils instructions he puts a little smiley face after the comment that it's slightly difficult to remove the old one, i see what that meant, if you're easily worried about taking this on, keep pulling, then wiggling, it takes longer than you expect, it will just suddenly fly out when you're pulling it, the mount bracket for the airbox stops it smacking you in the teeth! :-)
    The bit that was 'slightly' more worrying was fitting the new one, don't be tempted to batter it in, the airbox rubber mounting bracket naturally makes you put the actuator in unevenly as it's in the way sort of, make sure it's completely vertical and just keep taking it up and back down again and it will seat in eventually.
    It doesn't fall right in to the point it falls down flush onto the gearbox, there will be a couple of mm gap, this is drawn down by the bolts, must be a slight interference fit down there(hence effort getting it out!)
    That 14mm bolt down the side isn't that that difficult to get to, it protudes quite a bit out from the gearbox, put your hand down there first to feel for it, helps orientate you to where it is and how to put your 14mm spanner down.
    I did it left handed with spanner down between body of car and flexi clutch hose you'll see!
    After it was fitted gearstick feels loose as hell, ie, like it should be! and returns nicely to the centre.
    When you put it into gear you feel like it's not in gear enough as it's a nice short throw, this will pass after a few miles in expect.
    Overall a big thumbs up, definetly worth it!!
    Well, apart from the fact my idle was shooting up and down on it's own, what the hell have i touched lol. Everytime i take things apart on this car something else happens! :-)

CJ_RSport likes this.
  14. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

What you doing with your stock piece you took off?

15. Sending it back to guy who supplied me with modded one. Exchange arrangement.

CJ_RSport likes this.
  16. Why ????, are you wanting to do this to your dci, if so you don't need it, you have a mk3 gearbox and its as easy to do as a mk2 phase 1

17. Well, just had my first test drive after the quickshift/bush repair mod. Coming from someone who has owned dozens of cars this is without doubt the best 100 quid i've ever spent on any car i've ever had!
    It has totally transformed it! I expected a shorter shift but i didn't expect every gear to slot in so effortlessly and solve what i was convinced was the syncro going on 3rd gear, the times i hit first gear going up the box after 2nd gear wasn't funny, and every gear after that felt vague to the point, especially with a six speed, i didn't know what gear i was in!
    So if your gearchange is basically a lottery just do this, honestly!
    (That was a public announcement on behalf of the Phil Watkins fan club!)

18. and the andrew jeffs fanclub for putting you onto phil,
    and telling you what was wrong in the first place!:smile:

19. Yep, sorry bout that, you too! I'd also like to thank my mother and father for being so supportive over the years, and to my kids for always greeting me with a smile after a hard day, and to everyone else i've forgotten who got me here today! (with a fuctional gearshift!)

20. this is the trouble with you..you take me for granted!...and you thought coming on here would get you away from nagging..:mask:

21. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

I thought this was for the mk3 apologies lol. I know ive got the ball and nut to do it. but ended up drilling in the slightly wrong place haha. just going to take it off weld and repeat :wink:

22. Its only the mk2 phase 2 and the R26 that require the machining, the rest are easy to modify :laughing::laughing:

23. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

I know there easy haha thats why i managed to mess it up :tongueout: Im ok with hard stuff its the easy tasks i fail at sometimes haha