250 Any overheating issues

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bilkos, Jul 3, 2015.

1. There may not be a separate oil temp sensor but it might be integrated with the oil level sensor like some BMWs with the oil condition monitor sensor in the sump. Oil temp is one criteria for the system to determine oil change intervals.

As for the thermostat, I'm unsure and probably won't ever find out because the dealer will be replacing it under warranty when i get my car down there. I read somewhere that the opening temp is 83*c but that might be a European spec.

The heat exchanger also warms the oil, true. But it also keeps it cool in the same manner :smile: If oil temp is cooler than coolant temp, then oil will take the warmth of the coolant. And vice versa. It keeps the oil temp stable & in theory the oil temp should rarely exceed the coolant temp.

Trouble is, i had a bingle this morning :worried: so everything is on hold.

2. It's been 26+ degrees out today, been out on a spirited drive with AC on and off just to test.

AC on it saw brief max of 90 degrees on the monitor water temps, and generally only 10 degrees above atmospheric for the inlet temps. Average water temps were more mid 80's though.

AC off it was less but not by a lot, maybe hit 87 briefly.

This is with the Airtec IC and an RSt remap, so no issues. If you hear your cooling fan going crazy, try turning the AC off as then it doesn't sound like a bus if you don't need it on :smile: