Sponsored By:  

Another crash at the ring

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by GrumpyTwig, Apr 10, 2016.

1. NJH

NJH

The only good thing about these crashes is they should help people to see the folly of half cages. The outfit that built my race car held the exclusive rights for selling Safety Devices cages for Porsches, he told me about this years ago and for this reason refused to sell people half a cage. Its always the A pillars that give more than the B and typically front engined cars roll over their front corners meaning the A pillar takes the big hit flattening the roof down mostly at the front.

2. Another one bites the dust

Must have been quite the impact

3. Is that floyds car from ktr? Got the trophy r wheels but no stickers? Or is it foreign?

4. Foreign car. Luckily guy was OK but that corner needs serious respect!!!

5. One of the worst places to crash.... on TF, one of the highest speed sections. Thank goodness the guy's alright

6. Pointless trying to go beyond 8/10ths there. It's not a race. The speed on the approach there is such that there is no second chance. I normally lift smoothly before the bump in the straight and add a confidence dab on the brakes if need be. I don't mind being called a pussy. But I guess if you really have to time your lap, that's not an option as you'll lose a lot there. Not that I understand timing in a non-competitive context.

7. That's one corner I always back off to ,that's one very quick corner. Same to the foxhole, can't bring myself to take it flat at the bottom. Sat with a Swiss guy in a G powered m3 gts at 160 through the compression :/ at that point I realised my cahoonas are never gonna be that big !

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. The area of Flugplatz (where the infamous GT3 Nissan GTR crash took place) has been resurfaced and altered to take out the "jump" section thus making the track "safer" in this area. The by product of this extensive work is that even normal road cars can carry 15/20 kph more speed through this section and onto the straight. This then means that the end of the Schwedenkreuz straight is approached at a higher mean speed if you keep you foot in. The problem with the "jump" and then closing left to the Aremberg right-hander is that folks either lift or brake and get into all sorts of problems with oversteer and instability on a high speed turn in. With the RS Meganes (I have a RS250 and had 2x R26's at the Ring) with the LSD the recovery method is more throttle!! Best attitude is learn the line, just in from the right hand side (NEVER on the left!), reduce your speed before the "jump"and then brake in a straight line before turning in....
    Here's a video from yesterday at the Nurburgring that I shot having fun with two Honda Civic TypeR's that have both been chipped to 420bhp. It might be helpful to anyone in terms of the lines that I have found suit me in the RS250.....oh and that our old Meganes are still up there in performance terms!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuc1kFu9Zoj9CzcUaRT9H9g?nohtml5=False