Another 225 build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Agreen, Aug 22, 2020.

1. I had a gasket set that came with extra seals, i think its a one kit for all.

As for the cam caps they should be in the cambelt kit and not part of the gasket set

2. Ahh okay, make sense i suppose! I guess the water pump gasket would be included with a new pump too!

Seeing as this belt and pump has only done maybe 2k miles, I was going to re-use it all.

3. yes that's where the water pump gasket should be.

If it has only done 2k miles then yes i would use them again, maybe just buy another belt.

Did you not keep the old cam caps ????? i keep mine just for this reason, or order some and fit when they turn up even if the engine is in the car there fairly easy to get too

4. I'll get some new caps and chuck everything else back on to run the engine in. Going to put the 250 turbo back on to begin with anyway and then pull it out at a later date to swap the turbo out. When I pull it back out, I'll fit a new belt etc to be on the safe side.

5. Pulling the engine out again sounds like your picking up my idea's :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

It's a good idea anyway, you can give the engine a real good check over while it on the floor and you don't have to struggle with seeing if there is something that needs your attention.

Agreen likes this.
  6. I'm probably over thinking this, but what happens if I have the cams 180deg out? Everything would still turn in time, but it would be trying to inject fuel at the wrong valve position?

Pretty confident I haven't lol, but it has got me thinking!

7. I don't think it matters, i am sure i have timed mine up 180 degs out before.

I always used to have the bigger moon at the bottom, then was told it was wrong, must have done a dozen or more belt fittings

8. I'm probably just over thinking things out walking the dogs. :tearsofjoy:

9. Just get it built :blush::blush::laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. who told you that Ian :tearsofjoy:

11. Seems to be working well!

Do we know torque settings for exhaust manifold to head, turbo to manifold etc and inlet manifold?

Attached Files:

12. upload_2021-5-13_19-11-16.png

Agreen likes this.
  13. Going to be interesting to see how you get the engine off of there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  14. :sweatsmile:

Pretty sure my hoist got it up there so fingers crossed it'll get it back down!!

15. Ready to go!

Noticed I need a new driveshaft seal whilst checking the box over!

I'm changing the bushes in the front arms before I drop it back in, but all going well, I may get this fired up next week!

Attached Files:

manugtt likes this.
  16. Looking good there
    You could have done the gearbox and arms while you were wait for the engine bits to arrive :confused::confused:

17. Only a driveshaft seal, will only take 2 mins!

I wasn't going to bother with the bushes, but I had to get a few bits from k tec and they fell into my basket just over a week ago :tongueclosed:

18. Hate those kind of accidental shopping bits :laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Poly bushes done.

Need new dust covers for the ball joints, the joints themselves are fine.

Hopefully will get the engine back in next week.

Attached Files:

Poppaboost and ianplymouth like this.
  20. Starting to get anxious :tearsofjoy:

Attached Files:

21. Well I thought i may get this turned over tonight but whenever I try to start it, it tells me to remove the card?

Will walk away for tonight and try again later in the week.

22. Scrap that last post, I've got it going :grin:

I hadn't made a connection to the starter motor lol!

Only ran it for 20 seconds to check oil pressure as I haven't connected the rad etc just yet!

Attached Files:

Rensport225 and Poppaboost like this.
  23. Broooommm! Broooom!!!!!

24. I thought this was too easy!

Misfire on cylinder 4, no clue as of yet.

Battery was pretty much dead, was surprised it started actually! So, first thing is to swap a coil pack, then plugs, then maybe injectors, then compression test, then a can of petrol and a match. :neutral:

Will hopefully know more tomorrow.

25. I've got zero compression on cylinder 3:cry:

Must be a valve issue, will start pulling it back out this afternoon.

26. What :openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

The only real way is that a valve is stuck or you have forgot to connect the conrod :blush::blush:

I would say just remove the rocker cover but then you have to take the turbo off, i'm gutted for you

It going to be something silly like a hydraulic tappet locked, or a follower not seated right, it can't be that far open as the valve would hit the piston, but if you have turned it over couple of times after the belt installation you would have felt it.

27. Sorry to read that man, I hope it be something silly like Ian said. Cheer up!!

28. What a day, just packed up!

So I pulled the engine, took the rocker off and low and behold, a follower wasn't quite seated right!

Got it all back together and got it started, only a quick 20 seconds as there's no rad etc fitted. Compression test has come back almost identical across all 4 (160psi), pretty happy with that!

I was showing oil pressure, but the top end sounds very rattle/tinny, assuming it's because all of my tappets have gone dry and will take a little while to get covered in oil again.

I'll get it all assembled in the coming days and run it up to temp, hopefully the top end will quiet down.

29. so happy for you

didn't think it was going to be much, but its the pain in the ass to strip it to find something so silly causing the problem.
    Everything is a learning curve, just think of the experience :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Agreen likes this.
  30. I just hope I haven't messed something up and the oil isn't getting to the head for some reason?

It's ran down to the sump so should be able to be pumped back up?!

31. as long as you haven't used too much sealer on the head to rocker cover joint you should be okay

You can run the engine for a couple of minutes at least without coolant in the engine, it's not going to get that hot in that sort of time.

32. Just paranoid that I've done something wrong with the head gasket and it's blocking the oil passages! :neutral:

33. its not possible to fit it wrong i'm sure, it's a mirror gasket, so can fit upside down, its obvious that it wont fit 180deg out.

manugtt likes this.
  34. I think this is on the wrong side, looking at it, it can only go one way for that hole to line up with the block!

I was getting hassle from a neighbour about some work that needed doing on his house, he made me late for a meeting and I had to rush off. I must've just chucked it on I a hurry and not checked it when I've come back to fit the head!

Never mind, won't take long to pull it all apart again. :sweatsmile:

Attached Files:

35. that's not a good outcome, that's why very few people know where my workshop is, so i can work in peace.

I also think the gasket wouldn't go down properly due to the locating dowels, so it wouldn't sit down fully

manugtt and Agreen like this.
  36. In future, I'll fit better lighting so I can close the garage door and not be distracted or disturbed! I guess it's so easy to lose concentration for just a couple of seconds, seconds that can cock it all up!

Not to worry, seems like a good enough excuse to take another day off work and do it all over again today! At this rate Ian, I'll be stealing your record of engine pulls in a single week! :laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  37. good lighting is so important helps you find the nuts, bolts and sockets you drop either down the back of the engine or on the floor :laughing::laughing::laughing:

You are welcome to the most engine removes in a week, but keep away from the total engine pull outs :laughing::laughing::laughing:

tof73 and Agreen like this.
  38. All back together, top end sounds much better now that it has oil :laughing:

Only now I'm showing kower compression in cylinder 1?! Got a reading of 150 from the other three and 125 on cylinder 1, with a bit of oil down the plug hole they all read between 170/180.

I'm hoping that there isn't a ring issue, I didn't pay too much attention when I had the head off as that cylinder has been absolutely fine until now.

Maybe it just needs bedding in?

manugtt and Conoboy like this.
  39. Gave it an Italian tune on the driveway, sounds really good to be fair! Not sure how to upload vids unfortunately.

Conoboy likes this.
  40. you can only really do an Italian tune ups on the road, as you need to load up the engine.

good you have got it running today, give it a good run and let it settle in, then go from there, that's my advice

As for the video, upload it to say "you tube" and there is a share button, click on that and highlight and copy.

Agreen likes this.