Another 225 build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Agreen, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Would be interesting to get some specs!

I'll do some digging when I'm bored one day!

At some point the cam will become a limiting factor in my build. I'm looking to lower the compression and the turbo should be able to produce decent power beyond 8k revs but I'm not sure if the cam will provide enough at these revs.

2. You have to do a bit of modifying but its not much apparently.

So you looking at over 500hp then :laughing::laughing:

3. That was the magic number, but anything over 400bhp on a standard cam will be a success I suppose!

Definitely going to go down the route of a boost controller to reduce power in wet weather/road mileage.

4. i don't know what the difference is in the 225/R26 cams and the 250/265 cams, but nothing was mentioned when mine was mapped, said with a decent fuel pump i should have been looking at 450

5. Few more bits ready to go.

Attached Files:

6. Still waiting on the rods and pistons, I've been informed they'll be around late Nov.

However, the attachment images show the internal Wastegate set up of the g25-550 will work! A guy on Facebook was kind enough to send these over to me and is aiding in the fitment process. It was Cooksport who fabricated everything to make this work.

Attached Files:

Brigsy and manugtt like this.
  7. It took 8 weeks, but they're here at last :grin:

Attached Files:

Poppaboost likes this.
  8. ordered mine today, should be here in a day or two as they were in stock :sunglasses::sunglasses:

They had 20 minutes to sort and post as it was there last day

Poppaboost likes this.
  9. The same job awaits me in the spring. Why wait so long for parts? It makes sense to me that someone already has them in stock. Do you have any recommendation for that. I have already ordered pistons and connecting rods once. (wosner and pec ) In the end, they offered me another type because of some delivery problems. Anyway as far as i understand wosner is made in Germany. From there it travels to GB and then back even further to me. Does anyone know a seller in Germany.

I wanted to order pistons and connecting rods before opening the engine to save time. I don't think that's a very good id. The car does not consume oil but has a lot of miles.

10. You need to open it up to make sure its not been played with before, also you need to make sure the bores are within tolerance, shame to find out its been bored before or that it needs over sized pistons due to wear.

I have just bought the last set of Iasa pistons, they were out of stock of the PEC rods, so it looks like i'm having Catcam rods.

Do a google search this is the number you need for standard pistons K9475DA (wossner)

11. I ordered them from engine dynamics but there was a problem with the delivery of the rods. Andy at ED did his best to keep those that had placed orders in the loop to be fair but I get the impression PEC were giving him the run around a little!

The bores on mine seemed pretty good, I could've got away with standard size pistons but decided to go for 83mm and have it re-bored.

12. Thats what i have gone for, the bores on the R26 are a little bit scored, so will need a rebore.

13. I've gone for a lower compression variant but I'm not sure if I'll need the head skimming which may raise the compression a little.

14. The engine was never opened. Don't waste oil. I wonder how safe I can be if I order a 83mm size piston.

Imports from the EU are complicated and slow. If I add to that the wait to arrive in GB, I will be without a car for at least 2 months.

15. Do they have to come from the UK, surely you can get them from another country
    I'm going for 83mm just to make sure it's like new or the best it can be, plus it has slight scoring in number 3&4 cylinders

16. I'm going to have my head skimmed, slightly hopefully, it has to be done because i need new valve guides

17. Just got a message, pistons and rods being delivered today :sunglasses::sunglasses:

18. Lucky boy! Where did you get them from?

Are you going to be keeping the compression as close to standard as possible?

19. They turned up around 2pm, got them from Ktec sorry seem to have the last ones available.

Yes will be trying to keep the compression as close to stock as possible, my 225 compression was to high (apparently) and was told too low a compression kills off boost power and torque

20. I'm thinking with a head skim my compression should be closer to 8.5:1 with a standard head gasket which is roughly the same as the 250 engines.

Off boost performance doesn't bother me too much, I'll probably get a trailer to take it to track days etc if it's really bad to drive! Having too high a compression is more of a worry with me going big turbo/power.

21. So I'm pretty much ready to go now, final piece was a lightened crank pulley thanks to Raptor on here.

Should be going for balancing next week and hopefully the re-bore etc shortly after.

I think I'm going to bin the catcams for now and run the standard turbo for a little while before pulling it out for the fun stuff to be fitted. I may look at the cams when I fit the new turbo, I'm not entirely convinced it's money well spent.

And before some smart arse points it out, I know I've put the rods upside down in the photo. :tongueclosed:

Attached Files:

manugtt and Jukidam like this.
  22. I couldn't get anyone to give me a definitive answer to the gains of the Catcams and for the price for the cams and the tools to set them up, i think the money is better spent elsewhere.
    Even when i had mine mapped there wasn't any mention on if i had them fitted you would be looking at XXXX extra horsepower.

I took my crank to be balanced, the one that was in the 225 (250 engine) they said it was spot on, like all Renault cranks, he said.

Get you ass into gear, i think i will have run mine in, mapped and done a track day before you get yours running :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mine is on hold for the minute, as i'm waiting for a smf to arrive :confounded::confounded:

23. looking good though :sunglasses::sunglasses:

24. Yeah it may need virtually nothing doing to it to be fair, not sure if the SMF and lightweight pulley will make more of a difference but we'll see! For what it's costing I may as well take it.

There doesn't really seem to be a definite answer when it comes to the cams. I was looking at n/a clios and the gains seem relatively marginal so really not sure! Overall, you're looking at 2 or 3 local trackdays for the cost of the cams!

When I pull it out to fit the bigger turbo etc I'll speak to EFi and get his opinion on a few things. Fuelling will be an issue and it could be at high revs the cam may really be needed.

I can guarantee you'll have done a track day before this is up and running Ian :sweatsmile:

ianplymouth likes this.
  25. Balancing complete, can see where he's taken a few bits out here and there. Surprisingly, the rods needed more work than he was expecting, was 2.5g of variation!

Should hopefully get the head and block to the engine builder this week to skim, re-bore etc.

Aiming to get this back on the road for the end of Feb, fingers crossed.

ianplymouth and manugtt like this.
  26. What rods you are using, that seems a lot of difference

Going to put mine back on the ground tomorrow, then i can drop the rear subframe, replace the bushes and brake hoses.

Also need to make room as i have to empty the espace out as its going in for some MOT work

27. Pec rods.

I know there was a supply issue, I hope they haven't just thrown any old crap out to get the orders filled!

28. Took everything to the machine shop today and didn't realise that the new supertech valves don't come with new keepers!

So I've got to try and find new keepers/locks before the valves can be fitted!

29. So you bought 250 valves then, i bought the over sized 225/R26 valves and they don't need the different keepers, it's the standard 250 exhaust valves that the odd ones.

30. Not sure, they were labelled for the 225 engine but standard sizes I think?

They look to be the same collets as standard, I just don't have them as i wrongly assumed they came with the springs and retainers etc so didn't take too much care storing the ones that came off.

31. ohhh thats not good, i keep everything thats been stripped off of my engines, that's probably why my workshop is full of bits

32. So far I've found 16 collets, I'm half way there :tearsofjoy:

33. Hallelujah..... :sweatsmile:

Attached Files:

manugtt likes this.
  34. Be up and running by the weekend then :laughing::laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  35. So I had every intention of putting the 250 turbo back on, then I got speaking to someone on Facebook and end up buying a new turbo set up. :sweatsmile:

Actually going for the external Wastegate set up as we had good info from Chris at EFi that the internal Wastegate variant can struggle to release pressure and can suffer boost creep!

Hoping to make some real progress on this soon.

Attached Files:

Rensport225 and manugtt like this.
  36. Man...that manifold is art!

37. So what have you gone for ???
    Is that the Garett setup from Ktec ???

38. Its the g25 550 from rs tuning.

They've made a few adjustments from their earlier versions, different Wastegate apparently.

39. loads of dosh then.

Big Uno had one of those kits, had so many problems with it, mainly the fitting of it

Good luck :laughing::laughing::laughing:

40. Yeah I've read his thread many times lol!

By the sounds of it they've tweaked the setup now so fingers crossed it should be a little easier.

ianplymouth likes this.