Another 225 build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Agreen, Aug 22, 2020.

1. I'm just using this to keep a record of everything that's going on with my 225 as a recent back up on my phone failed and I lost a ton of info! Luckily, I had some images that were on facebook!

Car is a battered old 2004 225 megane.
    So far:
    Full strip out
    Corbeau buckets and harnesses
    Quaife
    BC coilovers
    Adjustable drop links
    Some poly bushes (more to come)
    Uprated engine mounts
    Forge intercooler
    250 turbo
    630cc injectors
    3" decat and straight through exhaust
    Battery to boot
    Remapped by EFI, ran 300bhp/290lb-ft

Because of all the covid bollox, I'm unlikely to get any track time this year and since it is burning some oil and a turbo bolt came loose, I've pulled the engine to begin the rebuild!

More will follow.

Attached Files:

2. The engine is now out, ready to start stripping!

The aim is somewhere around the 400bhp mark, yes it's going to be expensive!:tearsofjoy:

Attached Files:

3. It is going to be expensive! U doing the engine yourself?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The bulk of it yes.

5. This promise!! Takking seat in the thread and waitting advances. Cheers up Agreen!:wink:

6. :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

7. Very nice! I wish you a lot of fun and no problems! :grin:

8. Thanks guys!

Just dont expect any regular updates, I'll be lucky to have this back together before Christmas!!

9. You will need a different turbo as well then, Mk3 won't give you 400hp
    Slow and steady, take you time and check and clean everything even if its new, if you need any help :laughing::laughing:

10. I'm looking at a G25-550 or something similar.

Still considering whether or not to throw the catcams in there, but it's a lot of extra money for little gain!

11. I look into the Catcams and nobody could give me any answers on there power/torque gains, i worked it out that the whole thing was going to cost about Ā£1k, by the time you add the tools to set them up etc didn't think it was worth it

12. Well that looks like it has a built in wastegate, so should make things easier :laughing::laughing:

13. It is a difficult one! There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info out there regarding the effects/gains! It's a good chunk of money to be the test pilot!!

That's what I'm thinking!

The external Wastegate seems to be the issue as even with cooling, it appears to overheat! Considering its at the back of the engine, it's not at all surprising!

I'm thinking of an idea to have a separate header tank and coolant for the Wastegate alone if I went the external route. There's space where the battery was, but I'm not sure on airflow in that area, unless maybe I fit some ducting or a some sort of bonnet vent?!

I'm a while away from the turbo selection, but it is worth throwing some ideas out there!

14. that turbo doesn't need a external wastegate so that does away that problem.

That turbo is basically the same setup as the standard Megane turbo so water cooling is not going to be required, if you do go for an external wastegate, then you will need a radiator, a circulating pump, header tank etc etc

15. It does seem a simpler option, puzzled as to why you'd go with the external Wastegate set up with this being available with an internal!

Not sure if maybe there's a space issue meaning the only solution is the external setup?

As a precaution, I'd fit an oil cooler where the battery was just in case temps got a little high!

16. Not had temperature issues with my new turbo

17. Do you run an oil cooler Ian?

18. Only the standard one, no aftermarket one, was waiting to see if my temps rise by a reasonable margin

19. That's interesting, so far so good I assume?

20. First casualty of war, must've god damaged in transit to the garage!

Looks like it's just the housing that is damaged, hopefully that can be replaced on it's own!

Attached Files:

21. All good so far, trackday yesterday mind you the weather was on the cooler side

Watch to the end ish :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    water cooling is good :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Stephen Portlock likes this.
  22. Definitely no over heating issues there :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

23. Do you end up on the gravel again :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

24. No, got away with it.
    Good job they put the chequered flag out, or i would have gone into that corner at least 30-40 mph faster, only just made it at that speed the water was about an inch deep, not good on half worn semi's :laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  25. Nice weather you have there too!!:tonguewink:

26. Only the best weather over here :laughing::laughing:

27. Progress.

Looks like cylinder 3 was the issue, hopefully will get the head off in the next couple of days and see what's really going on.

Attached Files:

28. Number 3 inlet port looks a bit oily

29. Ha, you missed my edit :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, looks like cylinder 3 is the culprit of my oil burning, the exhaust side was horrendous and the valve is even a little rust which is crazy!

30. The gasket had failed at the turbo to manifold, I assume this is why the bolts started to loosen!

Attached Files:

31. Ohhh that looks fudged, bit like mine on my new setup

32. So is you turbo okay, stand your intercooler up on end for a couple of days and see what oil runs out.

Also more than likely the valve seals are shot

I have a R26 in my workshop stripped, that's smoking, turbo is good i'm sure its the valve stem oil seals

manugtt likes this.
  33. Yes, seem like the 3rd cylinder knew better life. I canĀ“t wait to see out that head! What about the turbo? Any slack in axle or something?

34. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    Ian! We are writing the same at same time!

ianplymouth likes this.
  35. Thats because we are thinking the same thing :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

36. The turbo is a new unit from the 250, less than 1k miles on it and no play in the shaft as it shouldn't with such low useage!

I've suspected valve seals for a while, but we shall soon have the answers!

manugtt likes this.
  37. the one i'm doing, i will also pull out the pistons to see what the rings are like, might as well as its nearly stripped that far anyway.

manugtt and Agreen like this.
  38. ohhh and also check that the guide's aren't worn

39. So I've got one eye on the turbo (despite not even having the engine stripped yet lol) and whilst I'm looking at the g25-550 internally Wastegate setup, I'm not sure that the actuator will fit!

I've only been looking at photos so far as I don't want to get too focused on the turbo selection at this stage, but it looks as though the actuator would foul the head, making it a no go!

I really don't want the trouble of an external Wastegate and all the cooling that goes with it, but it may be the better solution.