Annoying vibration, need ideas.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by tom.hunt.73932, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Morning guys,

I've got a really annoying rattle/vibration going on with the 225 F1. It's predominantly at low revs and particularly bad when setting off in first (albeit it strangely goes away when reversing). The car sounds and feels like a rough diesel. Can't even see out of the rear view mirror properly when driving due to the shakes.

I've already had the usual upper mount changed a few weeks before this vibration came along. It was a genuine Renault mount and still looks fine. Since the vibration surfaced I've also swapped the upper and lower torque mounts but it hasn't stopped it. Hasn't come on gradually either, wasn't there one day and was the next.

Anyone had anything similar or can give me any clues on where to start looking? I'd considered the gearbox mount but wouldn't have thought it would cause these symptoms.

Cheers

2. I would go with DMF

3. Was hoping that wasn't the case, apparently it's only recently had a clutch.

Any sure fire ways to tell?

4. Jack up your car on either the front right or front left, put your car in 4th gear (pretty much 1:1 ratio), and rotate the lifted wheel by hand back and forth.

You will hear clonking. If you can rotate your wheel quite a lot freely before feeling any kind of spring force (roughly 25° rotation, or roughly 60mm circumference rotation, Renault specification for the RS250 at least), then your DMF has surely had its best.

Now of course you need to take some play into consideration in your gearbox, diff, and driveshafts. But it will surely give a nice indication of your DMF's status.

5. Superb, thanks for the advice.

6. I had exactly that on my 250. Explained symptoms to garage they though one of the mounts had gone...
    Got it in and turned out to be the gearbox mount-bracket, the bolt had sheared off... causing exactly what you describe above. Hopefully it is that as it only cost £140 for parts and labour